Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@sesame.com> on 2004/03/17 07:07:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 weirdness

Hi!

I am attempting to compile Apache 2.0.48 on to my Red Hat Linux ES 3
machine, and keep getting the following error when I try to "make" -

server/.libs/libmain.a(exports.o)(.data+0xb48): undefined reference to
`apr_threadkey_private_delete'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [httpd] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sesame/installs/httpd-2.0.48'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I have searched everywhere I can see, and nobody seems to have my problem :)

Here's what I have done so far:

- tried with simply ./configure

- tried with  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/extraview/apache-2.0.48
--enable-mods-shared=max --enable-ssl=shared
--with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl-0.9.7c

- tried with  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/extraview/apache-2.0.48
--enable-mods-shared=max --enable-ssl=shared
--with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl-0.9.7c
--with-apr=/usr/local/apr-0.9.4/bin/apr-config
--with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr-util-0.9.4/bin/apu-config

after installing apr-0.9.4 and apr-util-0.9.4 rpm's

This is a very minimal install of Red Hat - it's at our new colocation
facility, and we asked them to do a minimal install, with development
tools, so that we wouldn't have excess services running.  As a test, we
installed the same version of Red Hat on a local machine, and did a fairly
standard "development server" installation - and Apache 2.0.48 compiles
with no problems.

rpm -q -a on the working box shows 561 rpm's installed, while the
non-working box had 269.

Any suggestions on which rpm's might be important? Or, am I way off base,
and there's another reason for this error?

Desperately hoping someone can say "hey, that's just *this*" so I can move
forward!

Thanks in advance!

LeeAnn

LeeAnn Pultz
Sesame Technology
831-621-1836
leeann@sesame.com

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 weirdness

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:52:33PM -0800, LeeAnn Pultz wrote:
> As a followup to this message:
>
> While patching Apache the way Joe suggested did allow me to successfully
> compile, I ended up with other issues - when started up, Apache was
> consuming 25% of each my 2 cpu's, and my load average (apache the only
> thing running on the server) was >4 or >5 - with no requests made to Apache.
>
> We then set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 and recompiled Apache 2.0.48, and
> without the bugfix to threadpriv.c, the make worked fine, and now Apache
> runs properly without consuming all my resources.

Ah.  Random Weird Stuff (TM) can happen with NPTL because the APR
libraries do not link against -lpthread correctly. (this is fixed in the
httpd package included in RHEL3 and in the forthcoming 2.0.49 release).

Regards,

joe

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.48 weirdness

Posted by LeeAnn Pultz <le...@sesame.com>.
As a followup to this message:

While patching Apache the way Joe suggested did allow me to successfully
compile, I ended up with other issues - when started up, Apache was
consuming 25% of each my 2 cpu's, and my load average (apache the only
thing running on the server) was >4 or >5 - with no requests made to Apache.

We then set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 and recompiled Apache 2.0.48, and
without the bugfix to threadpriv.c, the make worked fine, and now Apache
runs properly without consuming all my resources.

As an added effect, java 1.4.2_04 would not start without
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 set - it crashed with a Signal 11 failure when even
"java -version" was run.  I'm not sure what's going on here - as Sun says
that Java 1.4.1 and above work fine with NPTL threads on Linux, but I don't
seem to be able to have that functionality.  But that's a topic for another
list :)

thanks all!

LeeAnn

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.