Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bruno António <ba...@di.fc.ul.pt> on 2002/11/25 17:02:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Configuration Dilema

  Hello

       I have a machine that is public and that forwards the packets to
the actual machine that contains the pages (this machine is unknown to
the world), the problem resides in the following. I also support
frontpage extentions, and this is the problem, i don't want a person
from outside to change things in my webs via frontpage. This is my
configuration

       Virtual host in the public Server

       <VirtualHost 168.21.13.42>
                ServerName something.other.com
                ServerAlias something
                ProxyPass / http://websmething.other.com/
                ProxyPassReverse / http://websomething.other.com/
       </VirtualHost>

       Virtual host in the private Server

       <VirtualHost 172.20.0.4>
               ServerAdmin somethin@localhos.com
               DocumentRoot /home/httpd/something
               ServerName websomething.other.com
               ErrorLog /home/something/log/httpd_log
               TransferLog /home/something/log/access_log
       </VirtualHost>

       How can I prevent extern people from accessing the web via
frontpage, but allowing people from the inside to do it?

       Thks in advance.

--
Bruno António,
Administração de Sistemas do Dep. de Informática da Fac. de Ciências da

Re: [users@httpd] Configuration Dilema

Posted by Bruno António <ba...@di.fc.ul.pt>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

>>    The problem is that the extern server where i am redirecting the
>>packets does not have the frontpage extentions installed, it only
>>redirects the http packets to other server unavailable to the world. The
>>log shows a packet with an author.exe that the frontpage uses to
>>authoring the pages.
>>

>Maybe a Files directive on the proxy?
>
><Files ~ "author.exe">
>    Order allow,deny
>    Deny from all
>    Allow from 12.34.56.78
></Files>

    Yep that did the trick, and it was much more simple. Thks you Rule :)

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.

Posted by Bruno António <ba...@di.fc.ul.pt>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

>>       How can I prevent extern people from accessing the web via
>>frontpage, but allowing people from the inside to do it?
>>

>I'm not familiar with frontpage, but I do know it requires an extention,
>correct?  You could deny the extention dir(s) or file(s) to outside IP
>addresses.

    The problem is that the extern server where i am redirecting the
packets does not have the frontpage extentions installed, it only
redirects the http packets to other server unavailable to the world. The
log shows a packet with an author.exe that the frontpage uses to
authoring the pages.

        I am trying to user a rewrite expression with mod proxy,
something like this

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteRule ^AUTHOR\.EXE* /dev/null [R,NC]
        RewriteLog "/var/log/httpd/rewrite.log"

         ServerName something.other.com
         ServerAlias something
         ProxyPass / http://websomething.other.com/
         ProxyPassReverse / http://websomething.other.com/

        But it doesn't work, the rewrite.log doesn't show nothing, so i
have the feeling that that the RewriteRule is not working. (And yes i
have restarted the httpd :) )

        Any thoughts? Thks

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.