Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com> on 2007/03/29 20:54:51 UTC

Re: audit trail - would this work?

Would this work?

Add an optional element (or attribute) to entity field elements
called audittrail.  The presence of the audittrail element tells the
entity engine that you wish to record changes to the field in an
audittrail table.

<entity ...>
</entity>

Separate entities could be created representing each field type, so
the entity engine could record the changes to the field in a field of
the same type:

<entity name="auditIdNe" ...>
   <field name="beforeValue" type="id-ne".../>
   <field name="afterValue type="id-ne" .../>
</entity>
<entity name="auditIdVlong" ...>
   <field name="beforeValue" type="id-vlong".../>
   <field name="afterValue type="id-vlong" .../>
</entity>
<entity name=...  repeat for all the data types

Any ideas/feedback?

Thanks in advance ...

believed to be clean.

Re: audit trail - would this work?

Posted by Christopher Snow <sn...@coralms.com>.
I'm interested in developing this.  It looks like a good project to
help me to deepen my understanding of the ofbiz internals.

Cheers,

Chris

On 29 Mar 2007, at 20:04, David E. Jones wrote:

> If I understand you right, this sort of thing has been discussed
> before, and wouldn't be terribly complicated to implement as an
> extension to the Entity Engine, but it can introduce a huge amount
> of overhead for the app server and database (if there are very many
> fields to do this with).
>
> What you'd basically be doing is keeping a revision history of a
> set of fields across various entities. A few thoughts from past
> meanderings of the mind:
>
> 1. use generic data structures to keep track of general revision
> histories for fields; would probably need something to support all
> of the common different field types (could use a single less than
> 255 character string, maybe some other simplifications)
>
> 2. do something to track together sets of fields that are changed
> at the same time, at least the fields in the same entity and
> perhaps even those across an entire transaction
>
> 3. do something to track who made the change (harder since the
> entity engine doesn't require user information to be passed down,
> and it's not always available), and when the change is made (pretty
> easy, we do it all the time already)
>
> Once all of this is in place all you'd have to do is set some sort
> of track-revisions="true" attribute on each field definition you
> want tracked.
>
> Is this something you are interested in developing, or sponsoring
> the development of?
>
> -David
>

> On Mar 29, 2007, at 12:54 PM, Christopher Snow wrote:
>
>> Would this work?
>>
>> Add an optional element (or attribute) to entity field elements
>> called audittrail.  The presence of the audittrail element tells
>> the entity engine that you wish to record changes to the field in
>> an audittrail table.
>>
>> <entity ...>
>> </entity>
>>
>> Separate entities could be created representing each field type,
>> so the entity engine could record the changes to the field in a
>> field of the same type:
>>
>> <entity name="auditIdNe" ...>
>>   <field name="beforeValue" type="id-ne".../>
>>   <field name="afterValue type="id-ne" .../>
>> </entity>
>> <entity name="auditIdVlong" ...>
>>   <field name="beforeValue" type="id-vlong".../>
>>   <field name="afterValue type="id-vlong" .../>
>> </entity>
>> <entity name=...  repeat for all the data types
>>
>> Any ideas/feedback?
>>
>> Thanks in advance ...
>>

>> On 29 Mar 2007, at 09:29, Christopher Snow wrote:
>>
>>> No response - have I said something wrong?  I would really
>>> appreciate
>>> some direction on an approach to keeping audit trails ...
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Chris

believed to be clean.

Re: audit trail - would this work?