Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/02/05 10:20:50 UTC

Re: [announce] new DRLVM build system came into force

Excellent!

Before we get too comfortable with the changes we might want to think
about whether:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources

should really be moved to:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources/trunk

We are going to want to be able to reproduce build so having the
capability to use branches and tags might be useful.  And it would
be more consistent with the layout of the other svn-switched
sub-directories of the federated build.

I'll take a look at moving the dependencies in classlib to common_resources
but before I force everyone working on classlib to checkout common_resources
I'd like to get this resolved so we don't end up breaking it later.

-Mark.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> Before we get too comfortable with the changes we might want to think
> about whether:
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources
>
> should really be moved to:
>
>   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources/trunk
>
> We are going to want to be able to reproduce build so having the
> capability to use branches and tags might be useful.  And it would
> be more consistent with the layout of the other svn-switched
> sub-directories of the federated build.
>
> I'll take a look at moving the dependencies in classlib to common_resources
> but before I force everyone working on classlib to checkout common_resources
> I'd like to get this resolved so we don't end up breaking it later.

Yep - make sense.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [announce] new DRLVM build system came into force

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
2008/2/5, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> Alexey,
>
> Are you planning to rationalise the common_resources/build and
> common_resources/make directories[0]?  Having both of these in use at
> the same time is very, very confusing?
>
> I'm assuming the intention is that working_vm/build will be
> cleaned up and that we'll just use it in a role similar to that of
> working_classlib/build - i.e. not versioned but used to contain built
> artifacts.

That's right, as I said drlvm was a pilot and jdktools/classlib should
also move to using common_resources/make to complete the
rationalization. I was going to perform this transition for jdktools,
just have more priority tasks on my plate at the moment and would not
mind if someone volunteers to help on this.

> [0] To common_resources/make would be my preference
>
> On 5 February 2008 at 9:20, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Excellent!
> >
> > Before we get too comfortable with the changes we might want to think
> > about whether:
> >
> >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources
> >
> > should really be moved to:
> >
> >   https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/common_resources/trunk
> >
> > We are going to want to be able to reproduce build so having the
> > capability to use branches and tags might be useful.  And it would
> > be more consistent with the layout of the other svn-switched
> > sub-directories of the federated build.

Sounds reasonable, please go for it.

> > I'll take a look at moving the dependencies in classlib to common_resources
> > but before I force everyone working on classlib to checkout common_resources
> > I'd like to get this resolved so we don't end up breaking it later.

Thanks!

--
Alexey

Re: [announce] new DRLVM build system came into force

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Alexey,

Are you planning to rationalise the common_resources/build and
common_resources/make directories[0]?  Having both of these in use at
the same time is very, very confusing?

I'm assuming the intention is that working_vm/build will be
cleaned up and that we'll just use it in a role similar to that of
working_classlib/build - i.e. not versioned but used to contain built
artifacts.

-Mark