Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <sh...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/11 16:05:01 UTC

Quick Poll: When to switch to Xerces-J 2.x?

OK, here's a non-binding request for all xalanites.  Please vote +1 for
any *one* lettered option below, along with any comments you have;
replies ASAP are better since we need to plan our builds out soon!

Vote for {A | B | C}:
A. Ship a final Xalan 2.2 build soon (mid-Jan) with:
  -- existing Xerces 1.4.4 parser
  -- including the Xalan 1.x compatibility
then: remove the 1.x compatibility and checkin Xerces 2.0.x, and start
shipping Xalan 2.3Dxx builds with that.

B. Remove the Xalan 1.x compatibility *now*, and immediately check in a
Xerces 2.0.0b4 build and ship another Xalan 2.2Dxx build;
then: ship a gold Xalan-J 2.2 once finishing integration is done with
Xerces 2.0gold.

C. None of the above: suggest a concrete, alternate plan, preferably
along with volunteering to help do the work.

Background Notes:
-- Xalan CVS currently has Xerces 1.4.4 checked in.

-- Xalan 1.x compatibility and a 'build dist' will *not* currently work
with Xerces 2.0.0b4

-- Xalan CVS currently will 'build jar' and will run transforms with
Xerces 2.0.0b4; the great majority of tests run but there are some
new/different failures.  (Note: minor build jar script update coming
soon)
Basically if you take a current Xalan build and replace the older 1.4.4
xerces.jar with the newer 2.0.0b4 xercesImpl.jar, it will work mostly
the same with either parser.

Thanks

=====
<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 .sig="2002 The palindromic year 2002"/>

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Re: Quick Poll: When to switch to Xerces-J 2.x?

Posted by Chris McCabe <Ch...@choicehotels.com>.
Does anyone know what effect moving to Xerces 2 will have on performance
of Xalan?  That would be my biggest concern.  In addition to raw speed,
memory consumption is also a concern.  I don't remember seeing anything
about how Xerces2 compares to Xerces1 in this respect.

Chris

--
Chris P. McCabe  - Senior Software Systems Architect
Choice Hotels International - Information Technology

Re: Quick Poll: When to switch to Xerces-J 2.x?

Posted by Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>.
I vote +1 for Option B.

This would be the most favorable option for the
JAXP Pack that Sun is planning, which will include
Xalan, XSLTC, and Xerces-J 2.x.

It would also give us time to verify the quality of
XSLTC was well as Xalan. I'd say before the next
non developer release, we should be running all the
tests against XSLTC as well as Xalan.

Tom

RE: Quick Poll: When to switch to Xerces-J 2.x?

Posted by Gunnlaugur Thor Briem <gt...@dimon.is>.
+1 on A

... it's been almost 8 months since the last minor release!

	- Gulli