Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/24 07:37:29 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.4.1

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 1.4.1!

This release fixes a handful of known issues in Spark 1.4.0, listed here:
http://s.apache.org/spark-1.4.1

The tag to be voted on is v1.4.1-rc1 (commit 60e08e5):
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=spark.git;a=commit;h=
60e08e50751fe3929156de956d62faea79f5b801

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.4.1-rc1-bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

[published as version: 1.4.1]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1118/
[published as version: 1.4.1-rc1]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1119/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-1.4.1-rc1-docs/

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache Spark 1.4.1!

The vote is open until Saturday, June 27, at 06:32 UTC and passes
if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see
http://spark.apache.org/

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.4.1

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bobby Chowdary <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 Tested on CentOS 7

Posted by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
Great, thanks for the fix.

Anything marked as fixed for 1.4.2 should now be marked as fixed for
1.4.1 right? I saw you were already updating many of those; OK to
finish that?

>From skimming them, it looks like mostly bug fixes and docs, which are
pretty safe. A few things are kind of minor behavior changes like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-8630  Still probably not
wrong to include.

Ideally these would not be merged in branch 1.4 while the RC process
is in progress, but then, that bottlenecks things. Once the RC for
1.4.1 is cut, should be mark everything else merged into branch 1.4 as
fixed for 1.4.2? and then if a new RC is cut, mark them as fixed for
1.4.1 instead? that's a nice easy convention.

Anything that might be mergeable for a later 1.4.x release but
shouldn't go into 1.4.1 could be left out of branch 1.4 and marked as
backport-needed. That should be a rare occasion for late in the RC
process.

Obviously, the faster the RC process goes the smaller this issue is -
the smaller and more disciplined the list of target issues is when the
process is, the better.

Posted by Andrew Or <an...@databricks.com>.

:

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by shenyan zhen <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by "York, Brennon" <Br...@capitalone.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

* built Spark on OSX10.10 w/java version 1.8.0_45 via `dev/run-tests`
  * all tests ran successfully
* ran spark-on-YARN core ETL pipeline (success)
  * no regression issues / performance issues
* ran spark-on-YARN MLLib ALS recommendation pipeline (success)
  * no regression issues / performance issues
* ran spark-on-YARN GraphX pipeline (success)

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1. Tested on yarn on hadoop 2.6 cluster
Tom

     On Monday, June 29, 2015 2:04 AM, Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

 @Ted, could you elaborate more on what was the test command that you ran? What profiles, using SBT or Maven?
TD
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Krishna - this is still the current release candidate.

- Patrick

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Here is the command I used:
mvn -Phadoop-2.4 -Dhadoop.version=2.7.0 -Pyarn -Phive package

Java: 1.8.0_45

OS:
Linux x.com 2.6.32-504.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Oct 15 04:27:16 UTC 2014
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Cheers

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Tathagata Das <tathagata.das1565@gmail.com

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
Patrick,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Andrew:
I agree with your assessment.

Cheers

Posted by Andrew Or <an...@databricks.com>.
Hi Ted,

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tathagata Das <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding, of course)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
I wanted to flag a potential blocker here, but pardon me if this is
still after all this time just my misunderstanding of the POM/build
theory --

So this is the final candiate release POM right?
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1118/org/apache/spark/spark-core_2.10/1.4.1/spark-core_2.10-1.4.1.pom

Compare to for example:
https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/spark/spark-core_2.10/1.4.0/spark-core_2.10-1.4.0.pom

and see:

For instance, in 1.4.0 it had

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
<artifactId>spark-launcher_2.10</artifactId>
<version>1.4.0</version>
<scope>compile</scope>
</dependency>

but now that's:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
<artifactId>spark-launcher_${scala.binary.version}</artifactId>
<version>${project.version}</version>
</dependency>

JIRA suggests it had to do with adding:

<createDependencyReducedPom>false</createDependencyReducedPom>

Am I missing something or is that indeed not going to work as a release POM?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Pardon.
During earlier test run, I got:

^[[32mStreamingContextSuite:^[[0m
^[[32m- from no conf constructor^[[0m
^[[32m- from no conf + spark home^[[0m
^[[32m- from no conf + spark home + env^[[0m
^[[32m- from conf with settings^[[0m
^[[32m- from existing SparkContext^[[0m
^[[32m- from existing SparkContext with settings^[[0m
^[[31m*** RUN ABORTED ***^[[0m
^[[31m  java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.spark.ui.JettyUtils$.createStaticHandler(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/eclipse/jetty/servlet/ServletContextHandler;^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.ui.StreamingTab.attach(StreamingTab.scala:49)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContext$$anonfun$start$2.apply(StreamingContext.scala:601)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContext$$anonfun$start$2.apply(StreamingContext.scala:601)^[[0m
^[[31m  at scala.Option.foreach(Option.scala:236)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContext.start(StreamingContext.scala:601)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContextSuite$$anonfun$8.apply$mcV$sp(StreamingContextSuite.scala:101)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContextSuite$$anonfun$8.apply(StreamingContextSuite.scala:96)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.apache.spark.streaming.StreamingContextSuite$$anonfun$8.apply(StreamingContextSuite.scala:96)^[[0m
^[[31m  at
org.scalatest.Transformer$$anonfun$apply$1.apply$mcV$sp(Transformer.scala:22)^[[0m
^[[31m  at org.scalatest.OutcomeOf$class.outcomeOf(OutcomeOf.scala:85)^[[0m

The error from previous email was due to absence
of StreamingContextSuite.scala

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Yin Huai <yh...@databricks.com>.
+1. I tested those SQL blocker bugs in my laptop and they have been fixed.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
+1 sigs, license, etc check out.

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
At least a couple of those issues are mistargeted; some of the flaky test
JIRAs + test improvement tasks should probably be targeted for 1.5.0
instead.

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
Hey Tom - no one voted on this yet, so I need to keep it open until
people vote. But I'm not aware of specific things we are waiting for.
Anyone else?

- Patrick

Posted by Tom Graves <tg...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andrew Ash <an...@andrewash.com>.