Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by hoffm11 <ho...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/02 22:03:21 UTC

Real User Analysis

I have a script that has
20 threads
100 seconds of Ramp up
5000 Milliseconds Constant Timer

I have to tell a manager what this means in "real" users.  What is the
calculation to do this?  what if I run 20 concurrent threads without any
ramp up time or timers?

Thanks

Re: Real User Analysis

Posted by Simon De Uvarow <sd...@ces.com.uy>.
You should do it backwards, first you want to know how many users you want
to simulate. Then, what things do the different types of users in the
system, and finally "write the scripts" or compose the testplan.

Each type of user could be a thread group. You will have one thread for each
virtual user.
A thread (or virtual user) will do things over the system, HTTP requests,
JDBC requests, etc. And maybe a user could have loops and conditions.

ThreadGroup1-UsersThatJustSeeFirstPage
   RequestFirstPage

ThreadGroup2-UsersThatLogin&Logout
   RequestFirstPage
   GetNamePasswordFromCSVFile
   Logout
ThreadGroup3-UsersThatBuyOneThing
ThreadGroup4-UsersThatBuySeeStateOfCreditCard

How many users of each type you will have? you have to investigate that.
So, you are going to have as many threads as users.

If you want to know how many users you have in a instant in the test you
will have to analyze the logs of the test. (You have to log the results in a
file, and analyze the file)

this is a explanation in a very few words, there are much many other
problems to solve, you will need enough good data to do a good test, you
will need the hardware and to monitor all the environment, and other things

regards.
Simon

"No olvides, no traiciones, lo que llevas bien dentro de ti. No olvides, no
traiciones, lo que siempre te ha hecho vivir."

Re: Real User Analysis

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.