Posted to dev@tez.apache.org by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com> on 2014/11/14 01:03:38 UTC

Looking ahead to 0.6

Folks,

The TEZ-8 branch is progressing nicely on the UI front. Since it a highly
requested feature it would make sense to rally the next release (0.6)
around this feature and other tooling developments. To that end we could
try to make a 0.6 release soon after TEZ-8 gets merged into trunk. This
will provide users with a proper Tez release to play around with the UI. We
can then iterate on the UI in 0.6 train of releases based on user feedback.

In order to focus on the 0.6 release, we should probably stop further work
on the 0.5 release. 0.5 was the API stability release with a lot of code
change and we have worked through the ensuing bugs and missing artifacts
via 0.5.1 and 0.5.2. I propose that we wrap up any remaining jiras for
0.5.3 and merge them to branch-0.5 soon. Then do a 0.5.3 release and move
on to 0.6.

If the above sounds good, the folks should mark jiras for 0.5.3 where
applicable. Also, if any changes from master should go to branch-0.5 then
please merge them. Conversely, if anything has made its way to branch-0.5
and should not be there then please revert that change.

Thoughts

Bikas

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.
I plan on creating a branch for 0.6 today unless I hear
differently. That way we will can allow 0.7 work to get checked in.
I will send out an email to start the 0.6 release process at that time
so developers are all in sync with regard to branches.

jeagles

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>.

RE: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Jonathan Eagles <je...@gmail.com>.
At this point we have all the planned feature work for the first
milestone of the Tez UI feature checked into the TEZ-8 branch. At this
point, I agree with you it is time to propose to merge these changes
back into master. I will start a VOTE thread shortly to get that
process moving forward.

RE: Looking ahead to 0.6

RE: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>.
Sure. I can continue. Its not much additional work.

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6

Posted by Hitesh Shah <hi...@apache.org>.

RE: Looking ahead to 0.6

Re: Looking ahead to 0.6