Posted to announce@maven.apache.org by Dan Fabulich <df...@apache.org> on 2008/09/28 03:48:46 UTC

[ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Maven Reactor
Plugin, version 1.0.

This plugin can build a subset of interdependent projects in a reactor. It
should be useful in large reactor builds that include irrelevant stuff
you're not working on.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/

The Reactor plugin is normally run from the command line, like this:

* reactor:resume resumes a reactor at a certain point (e.g. when it fails
in the middle)
Example: mvn reactor:resume -Dfrom=bar

* reactor:make builds a project X and all of the reactor projects on which
X depends
Example: mvn reactor:make -Dmake.folders=foo,bar

* reactor:make-dependents builds a project X and all of the reactor
projects that depend on X (the reverse of reactor:make)
Example: mvn reactor:make-dependents -Dmake.folders=foo,bar

* reactor:make-scm-changes build all reactor projects that you personally
have changed (according to SCM) and all reactor projects that depend on
your changes
Example: mvn reactor:make-scm-changes

This is the first release of the Maven Reactor Plugin.

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

Re: [ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Paul Benedict wrote:

> Congrats on the plugin. Could you maybe add to the plugin home page
> why this plugin is required or useful? What common problem is it
> trying to solve? It would be nice to know that background, because I
> am grasping to find its purpose.

Which plugin home page do you mean?  Do you mean this page?

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/

I feel like that page pretty clearly outlines what you can do with Maven
Reactor Plugin.  Does that not make (enough) sense?

There's a more detailed explanation of use cases for the reactor plugin
here:  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-reactor-plugin/examples.html

And some of it is based on the page here:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Make+Like+Reactor+Mode

Hopefully the Examples page makes more sense...  If the plugin still makes
absolutely no sense after reading that stuff, let's chat on IRC or
something and I'll try to figure out what to add.

If, on the other hand, the Examples page makes perfect sense but the
homepage makes no sense, I'd appreciate concrete suggestions on how to
make the home page better. :-)

-Dan

Re: [ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

Re: [ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.
Rodrigo Ruiz wrote:

> So, if you create an aggregation project and add the domain module and all
> those dependant applications to its modules section, it should work,
> shouldn't it? :-)

Yes, but watch out for MREACTOR-1... you can't use ".." in your <modules/>
section with maven-reactor-plugin.  (This is something I hope to fix at
some point, possibly by generating a temporary POM file automatically.)

-Dan

Re: [ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

Posted by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com>.

Dan Fabulich wrote:
> Wim Deblauwe wrote:
>
>> 1) You spawn a different maven process are thoses processing using
>> MAVEN_OPTS by default (most important would be the memory settings I have
>> set)?
>
> Yes.  It launches "mvn" with the current environment variables specified.
>
>> 2) How does it know how to stop walking up the inheritance tree? What
>> I mean
>> is, why does not try to build hibernate for example (assuming my project
>> depends on that)? Does there need to be a parent project with a
>> <modules/>
>> section for it to work?
>
> Yes, it requires a <modules/> section; it can only build projects
> specified in your modules list.  (That's what a Maven "reactor" is: a
> multimodule build.)
>
> The reactor plugin has no way to build third-party libraries like
> Hibernate; it would have to pull the code down out from some remote SCM
> to do that.
>
>> Would it work if I have a domain module which is used by several
>> applications (but is just a dependency, not part of a multimodule
>> build) to make that part of the chain (in either direction), if of
>> course the source code is available on the building pc.
>
> Nope, a multimodule build is required here.

So, if you create an aggregation project and add the domain module and
all those dependant applications to its modules section, it should work,
shouldn't it? :-)

> -Dan

GRID SYSTEMS, S.A.             Rodrigo Ruiz
Parc Bit - Edificio 17         Research Coordinator
07121 Palma de Mallorca        rruiz@gridsystems.com
Baleares - Spain               Tel: +34 971 435 085
http://www.gridsystems.com/    Fax: +34 971 435 082

Re: [ANN] Maven Reactor Plugin 1.0 Released

Posted by Dan Fabulich <da...@fabulich.com>.

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dan,

seems extremely usefull to me. 2 questions I did not find an answer to in
the documentation:

1) You spawn a different maven process are thoses processing using
MAVEN_OPTS by default (most important would be the memory settings I have
set)?

2) How does it know how to stop walking up the inheritance tree? What I mean
is, why does not try to build hibernate for example (assuming my project
depends on that)? Does there need to be a parent project with a <modules/>
section for it to work? Would it work if I have a domain module which is
used by several applications (but is just a dependency, not part of a
multimodule build) to make that part of the chain (in either direction), if
of course the source code is available on the building pc.

regards,

Wim