Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2016/09/02 11:25:12 UTC

Re: jcr 2.0 spec url

Hi Clay,

On Thu, 2016-08-25 at 16:06 -0500, Clay Ferguson wrote:
> that url works for me. However it's such a shame the spec hasn't been
> updated since 2009. The whole world thinks the JCR is dead, but
> mailny
> because they never heard of it in the first place. It's tempting to
> just
> ditch JCR and code directly against MongoDB+Lucene. I mean it's been
> since
> 2009 and still you ask most java devs if they've ever heard of JCR
> and the
> answer is no. So sad that the technology is dying such a slow painful
> death.

My answer is non-authoritative, since I haven't been involved with the
JCR spec at all.

That being said, there is _a lot_ of activity going on in the
implementation space, and I think that Oak has found many good avenues
for innovation without needing to touch the JCR API.

So I don't think that the statement about the technology ( JCR I assume
) is dying is correct. However, we could definitely make more noise
about JCR/Oak and their benefits.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: jcr 2.0 spec url

Posted by Clay Ferguson <wc...@gmail.com>.
I hope the JCR community didn't take my email as an insult. No one is a
bigger fan of the JCR than I am. The fact that the entire world of
developers is still oblivious to its existence is just a shame though. I
mean really if you think about it in a perfect world the only reason
MongoDB should even exist in the modern ecosystem is as a back-end for the
JCR. The JCR is the perfect front-end (or client) for most data storage
needs in the modern world if you are in a non-RDBMS world. I guess the
ACID-correct RDBMS still has a reason to exist, but the fact that the JCR
is not more well known is definitely a sort of "marketing failure".

How to get funds to "market" an open source api with no funding stream, i
don't know. I'm a technology guy, not a marketing guy. I just know that the
JCR being ignored is a massive travesty.

Perhaps the solution is to make some inroads into the Spring community?
More headway or emphasis on the Apache community? I don't know. I just hate
to see a world where the JCR is the best thing since sliced bread and even
10 years into it most devs are still oblivious to its existence. Maybe I
should turn meta64.com into a gripe forum where we can make a plan.

Best regards,
Clay Ferguson
wclayf@gmail.com

Re: jcr 2.0 spec url

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 2.9.16 1:25 , Robert Munteanu wrote:
> That being said, there is _a lot_ of activity going on in the
> implementation space, and I think that Oak has found many good avenues
> for innovation without needing to touch the JCR API.

Agreed. But still it would be desirable to also see the spec. moving
forward. There is quite a few pain points that make it hard for
implementations to be compliant while at the same time meeting the
requirements of modern distributed and scaleable content repositories.

Michael