Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/08 15:26:02 UTC

hbase-mailbox alpha release

Hello,

It's your favorite GSoC student that wishes to make the following announce:

hbase-mailbox implementation is feature complete and has entered Alpha
release (tag 0.3-alpha in the mercurial repository at [1]).
I also wish to humbly ask for links to add integration tests to where
the bugs are.

The next days I will try to add unit tests for most/all of the
methods, hunt for bugs, improve documentation, code refactoring, and
eliminate all TODOs.I will be asking for a code review after this
period is over.

After this phase is finished, I'm planning a real life test.

[1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/source/browse/?name=0.3-alpha

Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Re: hbase-mailbox alpha release

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Ioan,

any success with the integration tests yet ?

bye
norman

Am Samstag, 13. August 2011 schrieb Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> Hi Ioan,
>
> I've hg pull/update, and compile/test works fine here. Good ;)
>
> I didn't review the code, but integration tests will tell you if you are
missing something. How is it going?

> You could also add in the tests:
> HBaseMailboxManagerTest extends AbstractMailboxManagerTest
> HBaseSubscriptionManagerTest extends AbstractSubscriptionManagerTest
>
> There are a few methods in the abstracts that can be reused for free as
additional tests.

> Good to have some documentation. You can put them (with source file if you
use an open source tool) in src/site/resources/images for example.

http://mailbox-hdfs.apache-extras.org.codespot.com/files/James%20HBase%20Mailbox%20Schema.png

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
2011/8/13 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> Hi Ioan,

Hi Eric, nice to hear from you again.

> I've hg pull/update, and compile/test works fine here. Good ;)
>
> I didn't review the code, but integration tests will tell you if you are
> missing something. How is it going?

This is also a reply for Norman's mail: Integration tests will be
ready by Monday. I didn't took time to implement them yet.

> You could also add in the tests:
> HBaseMailboxManagerTest extends AbstractMailboxManagerTest
> HBaseSubscriptionManagerTest extends AbstractSubscriptionManagerTest

They already do that, except I extend MailboxManagerTest instead of
AbstractMailboxManagerTest which doesn't seem to exist. And they pass.

> There are a few methods in the abstracts that can be reused for free as
> additional tests.
>
> Good to have some documentation. You can put them (with source file if you
> use an open source tool) in src/site/resources/images for example.

The Schema is designed with FreePlane (A MindMap tool written in
Java). The source is not committed yet, but it's there and it's text.
Images will also be available as svg and png. I hope they will be
available on the website as well.

Talk more on Monday. Have a great week-end everybody.

Good luck,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I ran the whole test suite again, to test my new 4GB RAM that I got
> just for this. Currently the tests are looking like this:

> That's a little over 61% test pass. I expect to pass all tests by
> tonight. Code is not committed yet.

:-)

Robert

Re: hbase-mailbox alpha release

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Hello again,

I ran the whole test suite again, to test my new 4GB RAM that I got
just for this. Currently the tests are looking like this:

That's a little over 61% test pass. I expect to pass all tests by
tonight. Code is not committed yet.

Bye, and stay tuned.

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
2011/8/17 Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>:
> On 17/08/11 18:39, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>>
>> 2011/8/17 Eric Charles<er...@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> Sure. Optimization is for later.
>>> (just to be sure, the limitation is on the 'column family', not on the
>>> 'column')
>>
>> Yes, I am aware, thanks for reminding.
>>
>>> Just tell us if you need help to progress on the integration tests.
>>> Maybe you could have more unit tests that will help you assess the
>>> functionality is correctly implemented: e.g. save two messages, count
>>> must
>>> return 2.
>>
>> Well, today I spent a lot of time in figuring out what's wrong, and I
>> think I will get to reduce the number of columns faster then
>> anticipated, because I have to make some changes to the design (I'm
>> missing some things - like updating user flags is not done right). I
>> also have a bug in storing properties (I use ":" as a separator, and I
>> shouldn't).
>>

> don't know if it's related, but hbase uses a syntax like cf:column.

I don't think it matters, i think it's just for HBase internal
addressing. The thing is that I store namespace and name of the
property as a column name, separated by ":". and supply value as the
value of the column. I noticed from the scripts, (also in HBase
cluster.) that the property namespace is an URI and it has the colon
in it, so I will have to change the design. Probably I will store them
all like they are in JPA.

>> I could use some help in learning what happens when a certain test is
>> run. I think The easiest way is to log all methods from the Mappers,
>> and I will do that.
>> Bonus: I united all the tests to use a single MiniCluster or a full
>> cluster (provided you change the useMiniCluster to false) and supply a
>> configuration on the classpath.
>>

> That's really a good think to be able to run the tests against a real
> cluster (even if it a local or pseud-distributed).
> With that, you will be able to see what is really stored instead of relying
> on vaporous in-memory cluster.  I adding the hbase-config.xml on the
> classpath and launching a local fresh cluster does the job. To see the
> content of your cluster, I don't know helpy client, except the hbase
> console.

Yes, if the cluster is a local instance (not distribuited) you don't
need hbase-site.xml on the classpath. Just HBaseConfiguration.create()
is enough.

I will keep you posted. Tomorrow I will be a bit busy, but I hope I
will get something done.

Bye,

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

--
Eric

Re: hbase-mailbox alpha release

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.

--
Eric

Re: hbase-mailbox alpha release

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

> Unfortunately, save is not done yet. It seems to use a lot of memory.
> If I eliminate save() by returning SimpleMessageMetadate from the
> start, the test is green so the problem lies here.

Scratch that. I ran the tests again from the console, without NetBeans
so my machine performed much better because it did not get into swap
space.

Bye,

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
2011/8/9 Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One tactic I sometimes use with type of problem is to add more
>>> specific tests. Another is to selectively dummy.
>>
>> I have tracked down the problem. It is in HBaseMailboxMapper.save() method. [1].
>> I have put some System.out.print statements to see what happens and it
>> seems that reading from the InputStream blocks.
>> This is strange. I will try to see what is causing this. Do the
>> messages created in the test suite have content equal to the size?
>>
>>            while ((b = message.getBodyContent().read()) != -1) {
>>                out.write(b);
>>            }
>>            out.close();
>>            out = new
>> ChunkOutputStream(sessionMapperFactory.getClusterConfiguration(),
>>                    MESSAGES_TABLE, MESSAGE_DATA_HEADERS,
>> messageRowKey(message), MAX_COLUMN_SIZE);
>>            while ((b = message.getHeaderContent().read()) != -1) {
>>                out.write(b);
>>            }
>
> I've just had a hard power failure and I'm recovering my main
> development box now :-/
>
> It might be tomorrow before I can get back to you but hopefully
> someone else will be able to jump in before then...
>
> Robert

I hope everything will be ok. Regarding the above problem, it's
solved: I moved message.get*Content outside the wile loop so I will
keep only one reference and read from that stream. I also used a
BufferedInputStream to speed up thing.

Unfortunately, save is not done yet. It seems to use a lot of memory.
If I eliminate save() by returning SimpleMessageMetadate from the
start, the test is green so the problem lies here.

I will keep you posted. Good luck with the recovery process.

Bye,

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/source/browse/src/main/java/org/apache/james/mailbox/hbase/mail/HBaseMessageMapper.java

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

I'm currently very busy so first of sorry for the delay...

I will have a look later today and also provide you with some help to
get the code running in the mailbox integration test. I just need to fix
a few things there first which broke the tests for now. As I added
supported for CONDSTORE / QRESYNC it currently fails to correctly parse
the responses. I will try to fix them today..

Bye,
Norman

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
I fixed the exception in the test (forgot to update it when I made the
change). I also fixed some other issues.
Now all tests should pass, except for HBaseMailboxManager which runs
indefinitely. I tried to profile the test case in NetBeans but failed.
I have an idea of what's going on, but not being able to profile the
application will probably take more time.

> With a little bit of luck, if we can build the mailbox and drop it
> into James then running the IMAP protocol tests should be a reasonable
> start...

That was my plan exactly.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Have you tried running the protocol test suite?
>
> Nope, can you give me some tips on how to do it properly?

Not sure (hopefully someone will jump in :-)

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's your favorite GSoC student that wishes to make the following announce:
>
> hbase-mailbox implementation is feature complete and has entered Alpha
> release (tag 0.3-alpha in the mercurial repository at [1]).
> I also wish to humbly ask for links to add integration tests to where
> the bugs are.

:-)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It's your favorite GSoC student that wishes to make the following announce:
>
> hbase-mailbox implementation is feature complete and has entered Alpha
> release (tag 0.3-alpha in the mercurial repository at [1]).

<snip>

> [1] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/source/browse/?name=0.3-alpha

I have some test failures on my machine [2]

Robert

[2] http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/p/mailbox-hdfs/issues/detail?id=1