Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Philip Lloyd <pa...@bigpond.com> on 2022/03/24 14:54:02 UTC

Spell check

Hello
For sometime now, whenever I use Office to write anything, each word is underlined with a shaky red line; the same line used by the spelling and grammar check facility. Also, I am unable to use this facility in the normal way.
Please tell me how to return to normal.
With thanks
Philip Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Spell check

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 14:54:02 +0000
Philip Lloyd <pa...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> Hello
> For sometime now, whenever I use Office to write anything, each word is underlined with a shaky red line; the same line used by the spelling and grammar check facility. Also, I am unable to use this facility in the normal way.
> Please tell me how to return to normal.
> With thanks
> Philip Lloyd

As you have posted in an OpenOffice mailing list, I assume that when you write "Office" (normally a shorthand for MS Office) you mean OpenOffice Writer and my answer is targetted towards that.

If all words are underlined with red wiggly line, then most probably no language is set by default for your text.  If you have the Status Bar turned on (bottom bar of OpenOffice Window - /View /Status Bar if not showing) the language for the document at the cursor position is shown in  the middle of the Status Bar.  This will probably be "None".

This tutorial explains how to correct for an unselected or wrongly selected language.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=16512

--
Rory O'Farrell