Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/04 18:23:09 UTC

Tomcat Farm Recommendation

I'm trying to move my Apache Http Server Farm to a Tomcat one and I guess
that Tomcat needs more resources than Apache does. Our approach has been
always to have many medium size machines than a few big ones, does anybody
have any suggestion to the kind of machine + OS needed to get the best
tomcat performance?

Thanks,

Johann

Re: Tomcat Farm Recommendation

Posted by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, I have to still trying to convince some people that Tomcat can
perform without a lot more of resources than Apache Http Server does.

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
there is no right or wrong solution, but entertain this scenario

1. few very large machines (or)
2. many very inexpensive machines

in the case of one machine breaking, using 1) will have a larger impact
on your performance than 2)
however, in the case of 2) you may have more failures.

take google for example, in an article by their CTO I read they are
essentially using option 2), because it is so easy/quick/cheap to replace

however, remember that using 2) also usually has much more power
consumption, so if power cost is an issue, you will need to setup a
matrix for yourself.

Filip

Posted by bajistaman <ba...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply, I know that there are a lot of things to consider to
give this kind of answer but my question was more about what do you have
that has worked for a corporate site, we're going to have mostly stateless
RPC Servlets for a Client Side RIA (GWT) and our scope is millions of users
pero month.

Thanks.

Johann