Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Pat Chang - 1973 <pa...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/04 14:13:26 UTC

Professional Support

Hello,

Does the Mina team offer professional support. i.e. paid support?

This kind of support is critical for most of our paid clients to feel
confident to adopt mina as they would be convinced that support is
available.

Pat

Re: Professional Support

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 9/7/07, Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org> wrote:
> The Apache MINA team itself does not provide any professional
> consulting.  This is not a service offered by the Apache Software
> Foundation.  That does not mean that members of the Apache MINA team
> cannot provide professional service.  However, I'm not aware of any MINA
> contributors who are currently providing professional MINA support.
> This may be something we look into as MINA gains in popularity.

true

<snip>

> > We would be making a commitment to using Mina to our client. Client usually
> > insist on a support policy, especially from open source projects as they
> > have IT policies that they have to adhere to. I think, all large clients
> > will expect that.

the apache software foundation is a charity. we use a different model
from many newer open source projects which are backed and funded by an
associated professional services company. apache creates software for
the public good through open development. apache does not provide
professional support.

instead, a rich ecology of downstream companies exists to support our
software. given the high level of uptake of apache software amongst
the world's blue chip companies, this model seems to work ok.

> > Secondly I am afraid we, nor does the client, have a great technology team
> > and we will need some guidance along the way. I am sure there would be other
> > similar clients who would need such a service.

IIRC there are contractors amongst the mina contributors

> > Paid support will help many IT decision makers decide on a technology
> > confidently.

many of the professional support companies which support apache
products would be willing to provide support for MINA on request

- robert

Re: Professional Support

Posted by Mike Heath <mh...@apache.org>.
The Apache MINA team itself does not provide any professional
consulting.  This is not a service offered by the Apache Software
Foundation.  That does not mean that members of the Apache MINA team
cannot provide professional service.  However, I'm not aware of any MINA
contributors who are currently providing professional MINA support.
This may be something we look into as MINA gains in popularity.

-Mike

Re: Professional Support

Posted by Pat Chang - 1973 <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,