Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Ioannis Zafiropoulos <jo...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/27 15:32:48 UTC

Upgrade 3.11.1 to 3.11.4

Hi all,

During a decommission on a production cluster (9 nodes) we have some issues
on the remaining nodes regarding compaction, and I have some questions
about that:

One remaining node who has stopped compacting, due to some bug
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14079> in 3.11.1, *has
received all* the streaming files from the decommission node
(decommissioning is still in progress for the rest of the cluster). Could I
upgrade this node to 3.11.4 and restart it?

Some other nodes which *are still receiving* files appear to do very little
to no auto-compaction from nodetool tpstats. Should I wait for streaming to
complete or should I upgrade these nodes as well and restart them? What
would happen if I bounce such a node? will the whole process of
decommissioning fail?

Do you recommend to eventually do a rolling upgrade to 3.11.4 or choose
another version?

Thanks in advance for your help,
John Zaf

Re: Upgrade 3.11.1 to 3.11.4

Posted by Ioannis Zafiropoulos <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for your interest to help. I had to take a decision quick because it
was a production cluster. So, long story short, I let the cluster finish
the decommission process before touching it. When decommissioned node left
the cluster I did a rolling restart and the nodes start behaving again
without errors, also auto-compaction resumed and all nodes had accumulated
a lot of files to compact. Then I performed a rolling upgrade from 3.11.1
to 3.11.4 which went very smoothly.

In retrospect to answer your questions:
> Was the cluster running ok before decommissioning the node?
Yes

> Why were you decommissioning the node?
Management decision, we wanted just  to shrink the cluster.

> Were you upgrading from 3.11.1 to 3.11.4?
No, that was not the initial intention. I arrived at that conclusion after
I realized I stepped into this bug on the rest of the nodes.
"Prevent compaction strategies from looping indefinitely" CASSANDRA-14079
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14079>

Thanks again!

RE: Upgrade 3.11.1 to 3.11.4

Posted by Kenneth Brotman <ke...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.