Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Paul Keeble <cs...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/08/06 19:13:06 UTC

Setting the Port for a jmeter remote server for communication through a firewall

I am trying to test a web site where the connectivity from my local machine is
not sufficent to test it properly. As such I have installed JMeter closer to
the environment and trying to use the remote server system.

I have attempted the same thing locally and had no problems, but the remote
instance is behind a firewall. I need to know how to set JMeters port for the
remote server testing as long as it can be done.

If I can't set the port then what ports do I need to open in the firewall for
the default communication?

Thanks

Paul K

Re: Setting the Port for a jmeter remote server for communication through a firewall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
JMeter uses RMI to communicate between client and server.

The standard RMI port number is 1099.
But whether that alone is sufficient, I don't know.

If by connectivity you mean bandwidth, then it is likely that using
JMeter in client-server mode will also hit the connection hard.

Might be better to copy the TestPlan(s) to the remote host, and then
run JMeter in non-GUI mode. No need then to mess with firewall
settings.

S.