Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl> on 2006/06/16 21:32:32 UTC

[Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

As xalan 1 is no longer supported for quite some time now, and the
libraries needed are not readily available anymore

(from http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#faq-N100AC)
*How do I run applications that use the Xalan-Java version 1 API with
Xalan-Java
*

The Xalan-Java version 1 compatibility API has been deprecated and
removed, so you must use the Xalan-Java version 2 API. We strongly
encourage you to use the Java API for XML Processing (JAXP) 1.3
<http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/index.html>. For more information, see the
FAQ on TrAX and JAXP. <http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/faq.html#trax>

maybe it is time to finally remove xalan1 as ant dependency, and remove
Xalan1Executor and XalanLiaison classes from the ant codebase

I realize that removing these classes breaks backward compatibility of
third party tasks directly referring to thos classes.

Still, I'd like to remove these classes and the dependencies towards
these classes unless someone objects, so please vote

[ ] Yes, be my guest, remove the dependencies towards xalan1
[ ] No, don't, these classes are still important (I know a place where
to get xalan1) and must not be removed

Martijn

Re: [Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org>.
As everyone was in favour the change has been applied, and xalan1
support has been removed.

Martijn

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
+1, be my guest.

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
> [X] Yes, be my guest, remove the dependencies towards xalan1

--DD

Re: [Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 21:32:32 +0200
Von: Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>
An: Ant Developers List <de...@ant.apache.org>
Betreff: [Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

> [x] Yes, be my guest, remove the dependencies towards xalan1
> [ ] No, don't, these classes are still important (I know a place where
> to get xalan1) and must not be removed

Hello Martijn,

I was waiting to see if any of our experienced committers would react. Actually, I have never needed xalan1, so you get my plus one.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: [Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.
Martijn Kruithof wrote:
> As xalan 1 is no longer supported for quite some time now, and the
> libraries needed are not readily available anymore

I know, last time I had to ask the Xalan people to dig out a version
from the internal Lotus/IBM CD archive.

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
+1
Peter

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@gmail.com>.
Kev Jackson wrote:
> But I (like antoine) was waiting for someone more experienced to veto
> - I don't know where xalan1 would now be used, but presumably one of
> the apache xml chaps will know more about it

There is no place where Xalan 1 would be reasonably used unless some
people like to stick with the dark ages of software in some part and top
of the crop in others and trying to mix both while hoping it may work.

Keep in mind that Xalan 1 was released in December 2000.

Re: [Vote] remove Xalan1 dependencies from codebase

Posted by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.

> Still, I'd like to remove these classes and the dependencies
> towards these classes unless someone objects, so please vote
>
> [X ] Yes, be my guest, remove the dependencies towards xalan1
> [ ] No, don't, these classes are still important (I know a place
> where to get xalan1) and must not be removed

But I (like antoine) was waiting for someone more experienced to veto
- I don't know where xalan1 would now be used, but presumably one of
the apache xml chaps will know more about it

Kev
--
"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed,
legislated..." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon