Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Eric Weidner <es...@pumavision.net> on 2002/09/03 20:22:05 UTC

Problems with Alexandria JavaService and James 2.0a3 on WinXP

Has anyone else had problems with running James 2.0a3 as a service using
the Alexandria JavaService on WinXP. My James Service will run for about
a half day or so and then crash with one of those "Notify Microsoft" popups.

I'm also running Tomcat 4.1.9 and JBoss 3.0.1 with the same JavaService
setup and they are running fine with no crashes.

This is on Windows XP with JDK 1.4.1-rc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

RE: Problems with Alexandria JavaService and James 2.0a3 on WinXP

Posted by "Peter M. Goldstein" <pe...@yahoo.com>.
The following bug from the Java Bug Parade may be relevant:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4671460.html

There are apparently issues with the -server option in a number of
versions of the Java JRE (not sure if this applies to the
1.4.1-beta-b14).  A test with the recently released 1.4.0_02 (in which
this bug is fixed) might be worth trying.

--Peter

WinXP

Posted by Hontvari Jozsef <ho...@solware.com>.

Posted by Stefano Debenedetti <st...@webaccess.mozquito.com>.
Eric Weidner wrote:
> Just an FYI on this problem,
>
> It seems that James doesn't like running under the "server" VM for some
> reason, at least with the JavaService.

I tried the same thing and James-2.0a3 worked great on Win2K with the
"server" VM from jdk 1.4.1 and JavaService.

Now I just replaced it with the latest CVS version, started OK, let's
see what happens.

BTW, I had to change the installation command in
InstallJamesNTService.bat in two ways:

1) had to remove the existing CLASSPATH otherwise
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main couldn't be found (weird)

2) added mx4j*.jar and modified path to phoenix-engine.jar

So the actual command I used to install James-2.1a1-cvs as NT service is
(all in one line):

%2\bin\James.exe -install JamesMailServer %1\jre\bin\%3\jvm.dll
-Djava.ext.dirs=%2\lib
-Djava.class.path=%2\bin\phoenix-loader.jar;%2\bin\lib\phoenix-engine.jar;%2\bin\lib\mx4j-jmx.jar;%2\bin\lib\mx4j-tools.jar
-start org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main -out %2\logs\stdout.log
-err %2\logs\stderr.log

ciao
ste

Re: Problems with Alexandria JavaService and James 2.0a3 on WinXP

Posted by Eric Weidner <es...@pumavision.net>.
Just an FYI on this problem,