Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2003/12/03 23:24:03 UTC

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.16 Stable released

The Tomcat Team announces the immediate availability of Apache Tomcat
5.0.16 Stable.

Please refer to the changelog for the list of changes.

Downloads:
Binaries: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
Sources: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi

The Apache Tomcat Team

Re: Tomcat JNDI - mapping a String

Posted by Ondra Nekola <on...@twin.jikos.cz>.
> I have developed a small web-based aplication. I use an ant build script
> to compile it and to generate a war. The application is used in several
> servers with different settings (it uses different databases, connects to
> different xml-rpc resources...) so it has to somehow read the
> configuration from the server environment.
> I have used the tomcat Web server administration tool to set Resources - a
> data source and several Environment Entries. The tool regenerates
> server.xml file in such a manner:
>
> <Server>
>   <GlobalNamingResources>
>     <Environment description="" name="BLAH_USER" type="java.lang.String"
> value="MrSpock"/>
>   </GlobalNamingResources>
> </Srver>
>
> Then I change my deployment descriptor get access to this environment:
> <web-app>
>   <resource-env-ref>
>     <resource-env-ref-name>BLAh_USER</resource-env-ref-name>
>     <resource-env-ref-type>java.lang.String</resource-env-ref-type>
>   </resource-env-ref>
> </web-app>
>
> The code, that tryes to read this environmnt looks like this:
>
> Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
> Context envCtx = (Context) initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env");
> String res_user = (String) envCtx.lookup("BLAH_USER");
>
> The problem is, that I get this exception:
> javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance
>         at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceEnvFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceEnvFactory.java:146)
>         at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:301)
>         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:837)
>         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:197)
>         at myapp.servlets.MyAppListener.contextInitialized(MyAppListener.java:123)
>
> When I try to access a mapped JDBC resource everything seems to be OK.
> When I list (NamingEnumeration enum = initCtx.list("java:comp/env");) the
> keys for mapped resources BLAH_USER appears.
>
> I have tried look this situation in the Tomcat documentation and to google
> it, but I haven't get any reasonable idea to solve it.

I have done some other tests and I can't find the right solution. Stop me,
when I become wrong:
1) Enteries in <GlobalNamingResources> are accesible for the whole
server including all deployed applications.
2) When I include <Environment> element into <GlobalNamingResources> a new
Environment variable should be accessible in all applications. It should
do the same thing as adding <env-entry> into web.xml, that works for me.
3) The defined variable appears in the JNDI namespace of an application,
when it's mapped into it by specifiing <resource-env-ref> in web.xml.
4) I appears as java:comp/env/VAR_NAME.
5) There should'n be no problem for Tomcat to construct instances of
java.lang.String or java.lang.Integer.
--
   S pozdravem
       Ondrej Nekola

PS: My environment - windows2k, JDK 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 beata, Tomcat 5.0.16,
5.0.18 and 4.1.27.

Tomcat JNDI - mapping a String

RE: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.19 Stable and Tomcat 4.1.30 Stable released

Posted by Brandon Goodin <ma...@phase.ws>.
Shouldn't this say Tomcat 5.0.19 in the body of the message? ;-)

The Tomcat Team announces the immediate availability of Apache Tomcat
5.0.18 Stable and Tomcat 4.1.30 Stable.

Posted by Ronald Klop <ro...@base.nl>.
On Mon Feb 23 10:38:08 CET 2004 Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> wrote:

The Tomcat Team announces the immediate availability of Apache Tomcat
5.0.18 Stable and Tomcat 4.1.30 Stable.

I think you copy-and-pasted a little to much. The subject and body don't match 5.0.19 -> 5.0.18. The website is wrong about this also.

Greetings,

Ronald.

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.19 Stable and Tomcat 4.1.30 Stable released

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.18 Stable released

Re: Tomcat 4.x non .jsp suffix for includes?

Posted by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com>.
In fact, I think you could reuse the default "jsp" servlet, and simply add

<servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.jnc</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

to your webapp WEB-INF/web.xml, or $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xm, whichever
you preferl

What I am not sure about is whether the JSP servlet has its name fixed
in the JSP specification, or it is left to the container implementation.
Perhaps someone here can enlight this :-)

Cheers,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Posted by Richard Bondi <rb...@ergito.com>.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Actually I think its much easier. In the local web.xml, I think you can add
the mapping for the other extension.

-Tim

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@comcast.net>.
Richard,

Posted by Richard Bondi <rb...@ergito.com>.
Dear All,

We want to use the suffix .jnc for our jsp include files. However, if we do
something like this:

   <jsp:include page="productionHdr.jnc" flush="false">
     <jsp:param name="ph.pageName" value="Scrub Reports"/>
   </jsp:include>

The .jnc file is not compiled -- you can see all the jsp directives when
you view source in your browser. If you use .jsp, everything works fine.

Does anyone know how to configure tomcat to compile .jnc files in this
circumstance?

Is there a standard convention for naming jsp include files?

Thanks much,

r:b:

RE: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.16 Stable released

Posted by Schalk <sc...@volume4.co.za>.
There seems to be a problem with the .exe installer. Even when pointed
directly to the jre (j2sdk1.4.2/lib/tools.jar) I still get the message, No
virtual machine found.

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Web Developer.Designer.Programmer.CEO
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436
email:schalk@volume4.co.za
web: www.volume4.co.za

confidential and may not be forwarded or disclosed to any other party
without the permission of the sender. If you received this message in error,
please notify me immediately so that I can correct and delete the original
email. Thank you.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.

Posted by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com>.
Congratulations to all those involved.  This is a huge release, in my book.

Lukas

RE: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.16 Stable released

Posted by Lukas Bradley <lu...@somnia.com>.