Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Chamberlain <ri...@sunsetandlabrea.com> on 2002/09/04 12:45:54 UTC

migration questions

Hello Everyone,

A quick warning that I'm a complete Tomcat newbie..

We're currently using resin because when we originally evaluated Tomcat
was a nightmare in reloading classes, I'm hoping things have improved.

I'm currently suffering problems because I'm using resin with apache
and trying to map a url and username to a particular webapp i.e.
www.example.com/~richard, this doesn't really work with mod_caucho. For
example I have to have all my servlets mapped to .jsp extensions
otherwise mod_caucho doesn't forward the request to resin.

So my first question is I'm hoping my situation will improve with
tomcat (i.e the integration of apache and tomcat) has anybody done this
username mapping before?

I've download 4.1.9 and I'm very impressed with the new administration
and management pages.

I'm trying to add a host tag (using the management tool) for a
virtualhost and it's not working. The host is already working correctly
in resin (it's a set of simple jsp pages) so I just wanted to map
tomcat to it to see if I could get it to work.

Firstly I created the host (www.sunsetandlabrea.com) with all the
defaults. For the application base I put /home/richardc/. The setup is
/home/richardc is my home directory, /home/richardc/public_html is my
site, and so there is a /home/richardc/public_html/WEB-INF/

Then I added a context with all the defaults except Document Base which
I set to /home/richardc/public_html/.

Now when I browse sunsetandlabrea.com:8080 instead of getting the
tomcat default pages I get a requested resource not found. If I try
sunsetandlabrea.com:8080/index.jsp I get a tomcat 404 error.

Apologies for the long message and thanks for any help anyone can
offer,

Richard
--
http://fastmail.fm - Sent .0000002 seconds ago

Re: migration questions

Posted by Anthony Geoghegan <an...@eircom.net>.
Yes but it's normally something like:
www.example.com/servlet/~richard
so that Apache can forward the request with anything like
www.example.com/servlet to Tomcat.

Best Regards,
Anthony Geoghegan.
J2EE Developer