Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by B Moody <br...@hotmail.com> on 2006/04/19 18:26:33 UTC

Stability of SVN Head

brianmmoody...@hotmail.com

So if I'm looking to use log4cxx in a production system TODAY, what should I
use - 0.9.7 or the latest 0.9.8 code?  It seems like neither one is useable
in a production environment.  I built the latest from the SVN and it seems
to work fine, but how can I use a non-release version of a 3rd party library
in our production environment?  The 0.9.7 release appears to be completely
unsupported.  Any clarification on this would help.  Thanks.

Brian

Sent from the Log4cxx - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Posted by B Moody <br...@agilent.com>.
Thanks for the tips - I appreciate it.  After getting your feedback and after
playing with the functionality (it's pretty cool stuff!), I've gained enough
confidence in it that I'm going to cautiously move forward with using it.
Hopefully it goes well!

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Posted by Matthew Kanwisher <Ma...@kanwisher.com>.
Days(if it goes down its usually cause we change code every few days), I
haven't had any memory leak problems with the 0.9.8 but I have with the
other stuff. Btw as for what day to pull, usually with open source I grab
the latest so if you run into any probs patches are easily applied ;/

--
If video games influenced youth, all the kids who played Pac-Man would spend
all their time walking around in dark rooms listening to electronic music

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Posted by B Moody <br...@agilent.com>.
brianmmoody...@hotmail.com

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Posted by Matthew Kanwisher <Ma...@kanwisher.com>.
So I generally log a few gigabytes a day, the system is totally dependant on
logging, been using it for 6 months now in production without any problems.
I guess its somewhere in the line of calling log4cxx hundreds of times per
minute. I use it for an interactive gaming server.

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Re: Stability of SVN Head

Posted by Matthew Kanwisher <Ma...@kanwisher.com>.
I wouldn't use the tarballs of 0.9.7 on the website I found memory leaks and
its really not uptodate compared to log4j. Were using 0.9.8 svn head in
production and seems to be a really stable product.