Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Michael Kay <mh...@mhk.me.uk> on 2004/03/24 16:08:25 UTC

RE: [saxon] Re: Using Saxon 7.9 with Cocoon?

#
# X-posted to the Saxon list as well.....
#
# > I remember having such problems with older versions of
# Saxon, and the
# > culprit was the AElfred parser that comes bundled with
# Saxon which is
# > limited to saxon's needs (hence why it's read-only).

AElfred is a SAX parser only, it does not include a DOM, so this is quite
irrelevant.
#
# It looks to me that it's the
# java.xml.transform.TransformerFactory entry in
# META-INF/services that controls this.  With the Xalan jar
# first the value points to the Xalan implementation of the
# TransformerFactory implementation, which in turn grabs the
# Apache DOM implementation instead of the troublesome Saxon
# one.  The issue with doing this (even though it works...yay!)
# is that I'm not sure how much of Xalan versus Saxon is being
# used for XSL transformations when you use the Xalan
# transformer factory reference.

TransformerFactory identifies which XSLT processor you are using, it has
nothing to do with the DOM implementation. If you do what you're suggesting,
you'll be running Xalan.
#
# Any insight?
#

You haven't given us the most important pieces of information: where is the
"troublesome" DOM created, what role does it play in the transformation
(source tree? result tree? temporary tree?), and do you want to update it
before, during, or after the transformation?

Michael Kay