Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Marc Gemis <ma...@agfa.com> on 2003/11/06 14:34:40 UTC

Re: [Digester] How to access created objects

Hallo Simon, Frank

Frank Schaare wrote

 > yes, that was a little confusing to me. I actually saw some Java code
 > before 'crawling' through the commons sources, but never this stack
 > stuff. I just dealt with stacks by handling exceptions without any
need
 > to get closer as e.printStackTrace(). I donĀ“t remenber any other class
 > pushing and polling objects to/from stack, so i just expectet some
 > methods like getStack(i) or whatever. Time to learn something new ;-)

The digester stack has nothing to do with the exception stack. They
both use a stack concept, i.e. a "box" where push objects on and where
you can (normally) only access the object you last put on the stack.
(cfr. a pile of papers). A stack is a Last-In-First-Out (LIFO-queue),
which is a standard programming concept.

Simon Kitching wrote

 >The way digester is generally used is that you give it some rules and
 >some input xml, and it generates a tree of objects. You never need to
 >access the digester "stack" from your code; you just get the object
 >representing the root of the tree and use its methods.

I actually used the digester stack to first push an object on the stack
containing some configuration settings. I need those settings to
complete the properties of the objects that are created during the
parsing. I use the Digester to parse incoming XML (not a config file),
but need to add values from the environment, which cannot be found in
the submitted XML document. The object that I first pushed on the stack
can then be accessed with a SetRootRule to set the values on the
created objects. Perhaps there is a better way.

regards