Posted to dev@wink.apache.org by "Snitkovsky, Martin" <ma...@hp.com> on 2009/07/29 19:36:45 UTC

Wink 0.1 release distribution

Hi folks,
After additional round of fine tuning (running RAT + restructuring), this is how I see Wink distribution.

1. The following artifacts will be uploaded to Apache Incubator Distribution Directory (www.apache.org/dist/incubator/wink)

	* Wink sources dist: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/wink/apache-wink/0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT/apache-wink-0.1-	incubating-SNAPSHOT-src.zip

	* Wink binaries (include Release Notes) dist: https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/wink/apache-wink/0.1-incubating-	SNAPSHOT/apache-wink-0.1-incubating-SNAPSHOT.zip

	[ACTION] Please go over dists structures, read release_notes.txt and BUILDING.txt and let me know if you have comments (silence gives assent).

2. We will build Wink release and deploy it to Apache Nexus https://repository.apache.org releases repository
(Release layout will be identical to the snapshot https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/wink/)
Regarding release process itself - we will do it in the old-fashioned way (Jason will need your help), unless Daniel Kulp will not disqualify the Nexus release process.
I have already requested to use Nexus for Wink releases https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2168

Regards,
Martin.

Re: Wink 0.1 release distribution

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
The release manager needs to start a VOTE which needs to be open for 72 hours. There has to be at least 3 incubator PMC
members who need to +1 the release. Once the VOTE is done on this mailing list and you don't have enough incubator PMC
votes, you need to move the VOTE thread to general@incubator to get enough votes.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Michael Elman <ta...@gmail.com>.
Regarding release_notes.txt:

   1. IMO the release notes should not include the "Installation
   Prerequisites section, it should be moved to the readme.txt under the
   examples.
   2. It should include "Dependencies" section that should state that
      1. Wink requires JDK 5 or higher.
      2. The following dependencies are required only when running with JDK
      5 and should be skipped, when running with JDK 6: jaxb*.jar,
      activation*.jar, stax-api*.jar
      3. "Logging" section should state that Wink uses Slf4j for logging. By
   default it includes slf4j-simple.
      1. When running with JCL, the jcl-over-slf4j should be used.
      2. When running with Log4j, the log4j-over-slf4j should be used.
      3. It' would be also useful to provide maven dependencies section.
      Alternatively we can put it in wiki and give a link in the release notes.