Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Timothy C. Fritz" <tc...@hotmail.com> on 2014/12/31 20:20:14 UTC

[users@httpd] cannot figure out how to add a new user

I cannot figure out how to add a new user to Apache HTTP Server 2.2. I want
to add a "guest" account so that I don't have to give out my own
credentials. This is essentially what I've done and everything seems to
work, except I can't log into my site with these new credentials:

D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin>htpasswd -cm
passwords guest
New password: ********
Re-type new password: ********
Adding password for user guest

Tim

RE: [users@httpd] cannot figure out how to add a new user

Posted by Jim Barchuk <jb...@jbarchuk.com>.
HiHi!

> I have several "htaccess" files and it is unclear which one and from which
> directory to post. I'm running Apache HTTP Server on a Windows system.

The directory that the htaccess is in, that you point the htpasswd to, is
the directory that that new username/password will affect.

> I set it up Apache HTTP Server many years ago. In looking through my notes,
> I apparently setup a second user (username and password) about 3 years ago.
> Unfortunately, I have no recollection of how I did it, but the credentials
> still work. Additionally, I have no idea how I setup my username and
> password when I originally installed and configured Apache HTTP Server.

Actually the line in the htpasswd file with the username/password that
-does- work -now-, you can copy/paste that to any other htpasswd file, and
use htaccess to point to the file.

The real purpose of htpasswd is to create name/passwords -lines-. You can
do anything you want with them. You don't -necessarily- have to use
htpasswd to 'create the file and add the data.' Those are added features
for convenience.

Have a :) day!

Jim

--
Jim Barchuk
jb@jbarchuk.com

RE: [users@httpd] cannot figure out how to add a new user

Posted by "Timothy C. Fritz" <tc...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you for responding.

I have several "htaccess" files and it is unclear which one and from which
directory to post. I'm running Apache HTTP Server on a Windows system.

I have a very simple website that I've mostly used for my own internal use.
I now want to grant access to my site to a couple of friends but I don't
want to give out my credentials. My thought was to create a "guest" account
with the username set to "guest" and a corresponding password.

I set it up Apache HTTP Server many years ago. In looking through my notes,
I apparently setup a second user (username and password) about 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no recollection of how I did it, but the credentials
still work. Additionally, I have no idea how I setup my username and
password when I originally installed and configured Apache HTTP Server.

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry I didn't state my question more clearly
the first time. Hopefully what I've added here helps to clarify.

Tim

Posted by Jim Barchuk <jb...@jbarchuk.com>.
HiHi!

Posted by "Timothy C. Fritz" <tc...@hotmail.com>.
Thank you for responding, Yehuda.

(1) I have no idea what my password configuration is. How do I tell? I have looked at my httpd.conf file but have not seen any apparent reference to usernames or passwords.

(2) How do I configure a new user account if I don’t require a specific username?

Please excuse my ignorance and less-than-basic knowledge of Apache HTTP Server 2.2.

Thanks again!

Tim

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.

[users@httpd] Re: cannot figure out how to add a new user

Posted by Good Guy <xf...@hotmail.com>.
On 31/12/2014 19:20, Timothy C. Fritz wrote:
> I cannot figure out how to add a new user to Apache HTTP Server 2.2. I want
> to add a "guest" account so that I don't have to give out my own
> credentials. This is essentially what I've done and everything seems to
> work, except I can't log into my site with these new credentials:
>
> D:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin>htpasswd -cm
> passwords guest
> New password: ********
> Re-type new password: ********
> Adding password for user guest
>
> Tim

Is this new user in MySQL?  I have never created a new user for
appache.  All I do is install the windows binaries and the users only
come into equation when dealing with MySQL or Windows server.