Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Chris Nagele <wi...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/09 02:11:48 UTC

OAuth in Subversion

Are there any plans to implement OAuth support into Subversion? We use
OpenID for our accounts on Beanstalk (beanstalkapp.com), but it is not true
OpenID since a user/pass is still required. We'd like to help out on OAuth
integration in Subversion so we can use it in Beanstalk and work with some
Subversion clients (Versions) to complete process.

Please let me know if this is possible and what we can do to help.

Thanks,
Chris Nagele
Principal, Wildbit

Re: OAuth in Subversion

Posted by Chris Nagele <wi...@gmail.com>.
> Specifically, you can start rousing our interest by writing up a short
> document that (1) explains OpenID and OAuth (many of us barely
> understand what it is), (2) explains why this would be an awesome
> feature to have, and (3) sketches a design of how it might be
> integrated into svn's codebase.  (In particular, you'd want to look at
> our auth architecture by reading include/svn_auth.h, and then looking
> at some of the 'auth provider' modules in the libsvn_subr directory as
> examples.)

Perfect. I will get started on this and try to get the OAuth group involved
as well.

Chris

Re: OAuth in Subversion

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Re: OAuth in Subversion

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Chris Nagele" <wi...@gmail.com> writes:
> Are there any plans to implement OAuth support into Subversion? We use
> OpenID for our accounts on Beanstalk (beanstalkapp.com), but it is not
> true OpenID since a user/pass is still required. We'd like to help out
> on OAuth integration in Subversion so we can use it in Beanstalk and
> work with some Subversion clients (Versions) to complete process.
>
> Please let me know if this is possible and what we can do to help.

I don't know much about OAuth, but...

   http://subversion.tigris.org/hacking.html#patches

...tells you everything you need to know about submitting patches, and
the larger web page (of which that is just a section) is a general guide
to hacking Subversion.  This mailing list is also available for when you
have specific technical questions.

-Karl