Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by richrem <ri...@remingtons.us> on 2009/09/25 16:34:42 UTC

issues with connection start timeout

I have read the docs on the failover and the tcp transport.  I understand I
can set various properties on the broker URL.  What I'm trying to do is
build a very simple monitor that runs periodically to check that ActiveMQ is
still alive and if not, send a notification that someone needs to start (or
reboot) AMQ.  Currently, I have tried the following values for broker URL:

1) tcp://localhost:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=0

When using this, the monitor thread blocks in the connection.start() call

2)
tcp://localhost:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=0&maxReconnectAttempts=1

I tried this, thinking that failover was somehow coming into play, but the
ActiveMQConnectionFactory complained about an invalid property
{maxReconnectAttempts=1}

3) tcp://localhost:61616?wireFormat.maxInactivityDuration=0&soTimeout=2000

I get the same behavior as the first option - e.g. the soTimeout does not
seem to work as I hoped, which is to throw an exception if I can't start the
connection within a small amount of time.

It seems that failover is in play somehow, but I don't know how to switch it
off.  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Rich