Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com> on 2015/08/25 23:44:28 UTC

Incremental, Sequential repair?

Hey all,

Got a question about incremental repairs, a quick google search turned up
nothing conclusive.

In the docs, in a few places, sequential, incremental repairs are mentioned.

From
http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/operations/ops_repair_nodes_c.html
(indirectly):

> You can combine repair options, such as parallel and incremental repair.

>From http://www.datastax.com/dev/blog/more-efficient-repairs:

> Incremental repairs can be opted into via the -inc option to nodetool
repair. This is compatible with both sequential and parallel (-par) repair

However, when I try to run an incremental, sequential repair (nodetool
repair -inc), I get:

[2015-08-25 21:36:43,433] It is not possible to mix sequential repair and
incremental repairs.

Is this a limitation around a specific configuration? Or is it generally
true that incremental and sequential repairs are not compatible?

The cluster is a mixed 2.1.8/2.1.7, replication is NetworkTopology, with
LeveledCompaction (if it's relevant).

Thanks in advance!

Re: Incremental, Sequential repair?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com> wrote:

> Thanks Robert! To clarify, you're referring to the process using
> sstablerepairedset to mark sstables as repaired after a full repair with
> autocompaction off? We're in the process of doing that throughout our
> cluster now.

Yep.

As an aside, incremental repair currently doesn't handle some (edge) cases
that non-incremental repair does. FWIW, which is not too much!

and

=Rob

Re: Incremental, Sequential repair?

Posted by Bryan Cheng <br...@blockcypher.com>.