Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Noorul Islam K M <no...@noorul.com> on 2013/09/05 10:00:16 UTC

[jclouds-chef] Back porting JCLOUDS-256 to 1.6.x

Hello all,

I along with the help of Ignasi, added couple of APIs to jclouds-chef.
See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCLOUDS-256

Is there a possibility for this to be back ported to 1.6.x?

Or else how safe is to use 1.7.0-SNAPSHOT in production?

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

Re: [jclouds-chef] Back porting JCLOUDS-256 to 1.6.x

Posted by Noorul Islam K M <no...@collab.net>.
Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com> writes:

> Then I'd recommend to stay in 1.7. It is stable and will unlikely get
> breaker changes now that all live tests are passing.
>
> The problem with backporting Chef 11 compatibility to 1.6.x is that
> there are too many breaker changes:
>
> * There are several methods that have been removed from the ChefApi,
> as it seems they are no longer supported in Chef 11 and Enterprise
> Chef.
> * There are changes in the domain object model to reflect the
> * There are changes too to the way JSON responses are parsed, in order
> to be able to work with the new Chef 11 and Enterprise Chef JSON
> * There are changes in the request encoding when uploading cookbooks
> due to the new internal mechanisms Chef 11 and Enterprise Chef use to
> that (see Berkshelf or S3 signed urls).
> * 1.6.x still has the Hosted Chef and Private Chef projects, which no
> longer exist. Now there is only an Enterprise Chef product, so it
> should reflect that (alghough this could be not that important).
>
> My main concerns bringing the new Enterprise Chef and Chef 11
> compatibility to 1.6 are those methods removed from the ChefApi and
> the change to the JSON parsing and the model to accomodate the new
> JSON returned by those apis. IMO these changes are too risky to be
> included in a 1.6.3 release. It is true that without them the code may
> not work, but changes will require backwards uncompatible changes in
> the API that I don't find appropriate to be part of a 1.6.3 version.
> Other opinions are welcome! :)
>

> As I said, the 1.7.0-SNAPSHOT version should be stable and shouldn't
> change significantly. Perhaps some utilities around the main api, but
> not the api itself, so now that all live tests are passing, I'd
> recommend to stay in that version.

Thank you, for detailed explanation. I will stick to 1.7.0-SNAPSHOT.

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

Posted by Ignasi <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Noorul Islam K M <no...@collab.net>.