Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2021/05/12 09:47:15 UTC

svnwcsub.py does not work across different SVN trees

It looks like svnwcsub.py is not always able to update the workspace
if the source URL is updated in the configuration file.

I am seeing an error of the form:

svn: E195012: Path '/www/ace.apache.org' does not share common version
control ancestry with the requested switch location.  Use
--ignore-ancestry to disable this check.
svn: E195012: 'https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/infra/sites/ace'
shares no common ancestry with '/www/ace.apache.org

Is there any reason why the svn switch command does not include the
suggested option?
Seems to me it ought to be possible to replace the checkout with a
different SVN repo without needing to manually remove the existing
checkout.

Sebb.

Re: svnwcsub.py does not work across different SVN trees

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
sebb wrote on Thu, 13 May 2021 14:46 +00:00:
> On Thu, 13 May 2021 at 15:03, Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> >
> > sebb wrote on Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:47:15 +0100:
> > > It looks like svnwcsub.py is not always able to update the workspace
> >
> > Don't use made-up terminology.  The terms "repository" and "working
> > copy" have specific meanings.  Use those terms to refer to what they
> > mean.  Don't use those terms to mean other things and don't use other
> > terms to mean those things.
> >
> > > if the source URL is updated in the configuration file.
> > >
> > > I am seeing an error of the form:
> > >
> > > svn: E195012: Path '/www/ace.apache.org' does not share common version
> > > control ancestry with the requested switch location.  Use
> > > --ignore-ancestry to disable this check.
> > > svn: E195012: 'https://svn-master.apache.org/repos/infra/sites/ace'
> > > shares no common ancestry with '/www/ace.apache.org
> > >
> > > Is there any reason why the svn switch command does not include the
> > > suggested option?
> >
> > You mean, why svnwcsub.py doesn't pass that option?  For starters,
> > because svnwcsub.py was written before that option existed.
>
> Any other reasons?

If you want to propose that that flag be added, the onus is on you to
make the case for adding it, not on everyone else for making the case
against adding it.  You've been around long enough to know this.

> > > Seems to me it ought to be possible to replace the checkout with a
> > > different SVN repo without needing to manually remove the existing
> > > checkout.
> >
> > -1.  That would be data loss in case of a new svnwcsub deployment where
> > the target dir already exists and is non-empty.  This project is
> > generally rather averse to the possibility of data loss.
>
> This is not about a new deployment, but about changing the URL for an
> existing WC.

How would the code tell the two cases apart?  What are the proposed new
semantics?

Re: svnwcsub.py does not work across different SVN trees

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.