Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Bryn Divey <br...@bengueladev.com> on 2009/09/11 11:09:52 UTC

Thrift HDFS interface problems

Hi all,

I'm accessing a HDFS filesystem (version 0.19.2) over the Python Thrift
API and I'm noticing quite a few situations in which the Java Thrift
server freaks out and breaks the existing connection. For example,
listing a non-existent directory, or doing a read with an offset outside
of the actual file size of a file. Is anyone actively working on the
Thrift server? Can I expect its stability to improve, or should I find
another way of doing Python access?

Also, I'm on 0.19 because I need HBase - am I correct in assuming I need
a minor version (.19) match between Hadoop and HBase? Does anyone know
offhand when HBase will hit 0.20? Apologies if this is the utterly wrong
place for the question.

Regards,
Bryn Divey

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.hadoop.thriftfs.HadoopThriftServer
$HadoopThriftHandler.listStatus(HadoopThriftServer.java:445)
	at org.apache.hadoop.thriftfs.api.ThriftHadoopFileSystem$Processor
$listStatus.process(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.hadoop.thriftfs.api.ThriftHadoopFileSystem
$Processor.process(Unknown Source)
	at com.facebook.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer
$WorkerProcess.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Re: Thrift HDFS interface problems

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@gmail.com>.
For the Thrift server bug, the best way to get it fixed is to file a
bug report at http://issues.apache.org/jira

HBase 0.20 is out, download here:
http://hadoop.apache.org/hbase/releases.html

And yes, I believe you do still need to keep the version numbers of
HBase and Hadoop equal.

Cheers,
Anthony