Posted to user@tuscany.apache.org by Jason Pratt <jp...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/15 13:45:52 UTC

new project

 hello all,
i am starting a new soa project that we've selected tuscany for use. my
question is which version to use 1.5 or 2.x? this will be a production
system handling a fair amount of core business processes.

also, what is the difference between tuscany and fuse? it seems fuse is
sitting on top of tuscany and a few other projects.

jason

Re: new project

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Jason

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Jason Pratt<jp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  hello all,
> i am starting a new soa project that we've selected tuscany for use. my
> question is which version to use 1.5 or 2.x? this will be a production
> system handling a fair amount of core business processes.

It depends on your timescales. If you want to get going now then 1.x
is out stable code branch. We are not done with upgrading the 2.x core
to match the OASIS specs just yet so expect more changes in the
innards of 2.x over the coming weeks.

> also, what is the difference between tuscany and fuse? it seems fuse is
> sitting on top of tuscany and a few other projects.
>
> jason

The focus of the Tuscany Java SCA runtime is SCA assembly. A standards
based mechanism for composing applications from components built and
connected using a variety of technologies. The technical difference
then comes down to whether you think using SCA to describe composite
applications is useful in your scenario. Under the covers we do use
some common technologies. For example, Tuscany uses ActiveMQ for it's
JMS support. From a non-technical point of view Tuscany is a normal
non-commercial Apache project. There are people who have commercial
SCA propositions but I don't believe Fuse does.

Hope that helps

Simon