Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by vivek <vi...@iiitb.net> on 2013/03/27 09:16:54 UTC

Not able to log "throughput" in a log file

Hi,

I am not able to log the throughput during the run in a log file. I can
see the values in the in "aggregate results" but cannot find in log file.

I want to log the *timestamp , throughput *in a file for a particular
JMeter run.

Please help.

Thanks,
vivek kumar singh
National University of Singapore

Re: Not able to log "throughput" in a log file

Posted by vivek <vi...@iiitb.net>.
On 28/03/2013 19:14, Flavio Cysne wrote:
> I have saved several httpSamples in a DB, from tests made at the last two
> months, and the difference between Latency and Elapsed Time, when Latency
> is greater than Elapsed Time, is between 1 and 417ms.

>>> response.
>>>
>>> I always thought that latency should be the amount of time between the
>>> request sent and the first byte received, not the first read of an entire
>>> packet.
>> Ideally, yes, but it's not easy/possible to do that.
>>
>>> I've seen some cases, using JMeter 2.7, that latency is greater than
>>> elapsed time.
>> How much greater?
>>
>>> I'll try to reproduce this issue and raise a bug report ASAP.
>>> I'll also try it on JMeter 2.9.
>>> Thanks sebb

How to capture throughput in a file along with timestamp when the JMeter
is running. Any idea?

Re: Not able to log "throughput" in a log file

Posted by Flavio Cysne <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio Cysne <fl...@gmail.com>.
> This is becaused it is measured to the end of the first read from the
response.

I always thought that latency should be the amount of time between the
request sent and the first byte received, not the first read of an entire
packet.

I've seen some cases, using JMeter 2.7, that latency is greater than
elapsed time. I'll try to reproduce this issue and raise a bug report ASAP.
I'll also try it on JMeter 2.9.

Thanks sebb

Re: Not able to log "throughput" in a log file

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 March 2013 11:51, Flavio Cysne <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Throughput is a relation of bytes transferred per second. In JMeter,
> Aggregate Report shows it per label, not per sample. Although throughput is
> not logged in each httpSample, it should be calculated by dividing the
> attribute's values "by" per "t".

That's bytes / elapsed time.

> I'll not subtract latency ( attribute "lt"
> ) because, in almost all samples, it is equal or greater than response time
> ( attribute "t" ), even it's conceptually wrong.

Latency is often the same as elapsed time.
This is becaused it is measured to the end of the first read from the response.
Often the first read contains the whole response.

Latency will be zero in samplers that don't calculate it.

It should never be greater than elapsed.
If there are such cases using the samplers provided with JMeter,
please raise a bug report.

Posted by Flavio Cysne <fl...@gmail.com>.
Throughput is a relation of bytes transferred per second. In JMeter,
Aggregate Report shows it per label, not per sample. Although throughput is
not logged in each httpSample, it should be calculated by dividing the
attribute's values "by" per "t". I'll not subtract latency ( attribute "lt"

Posted by "Stott, Charlie" <CS...@tnsi.com>.
There are listeners in jmeter-plugins extension that may work better for you.  You can graph tps or response times, record the details to file, reproduce the graphs from CLI, or browse the log data during test or on completion.

Another option is to use an external monitor, like graphite, which can log throughput, etc.

We have found a combination of monitoring systems is necessary to produce a complete performance report.

Charlie

Posted by vivek <vi...@iiitb.net>.

Posted by Darren Bown <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Vivek,

--
Darren Bown
tel:* +44(0)*7873 163 452

Re: Not able to log "throughput" in a log file

Posted by vivek <vi...@iiitb.net>.

Posted by Darren Bown <da...@gmail.com>.
HI Vivek,