T5 howto access an instance of Autocompleter

Hi,

I'm trying to get my hands on an instance of the Autocompleter object but
without any luck. Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't it be nice if
taptesty added the actual Autocompleter to the field as a variable.

Currently it does:
new Ajax.Autocompleter('myFieldId'....});

Can we not do something like:
$('myFieldId').autocompleter = new Ajax.Autocompleter('myFieldId'....});

I am not a wiz in Scriptaculous so maybe there are other ways which I would
love to hear about. Currently I see no way how to force the autcompletion
through javascript other than initiating a new Autocompleter instance.

Thanks,
Joost