Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by su...@spamgourmet.com on 2006/05/26 14:44:30 UTC

Minor issue: how do I link one repository version to another?

My scenario: I use subversion to manage a tiny website of static HTML
pages.  I had a bunch of pages, but then I decided to strip back the
website, leaving only a skeleton.  The stuff I stripped away is still
there, but I moved it over into a branch before I removed all the stuff
I didn't want from the trunk.  So far, so good.

Now, the pages that are left have two copies.  Occasionally, I update
these pages, and when I do, the changes should be applied both in the
branch and in the trunk.  So far, I've been handling that by editing and
committing them in the branch, then deleting the version in the trunk,
and finally copying the version from the branch into the trunk.  If I
understand right, this is all being done with cheap copies, so I'm not
storing any duplicate data.  Which is still good.

My only problem is, it's a bit of an effort to go through this every time...

vi index.html
svn commit index.html
svn delete ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
svn commit ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
svn copy index.html ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
svn commit ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html

What I really want here, is something like having a symbolic link inside
the repository, so that when I ask to check out index.html, it actually
checks out the file from some other branch.  Failing that, I'd like some
kind of shortcut command for all of the last four commands above.

Any suggestions?  Not the most life-threatening issue I've ever been
presented with, but it'd be nice to have a better solution.

Re: Minor issue: how do I link one repository version to another? (subversion: message 7 of 20)

Posted by su...@spamgourmet.com.
Ryan Schmidt - subversion-2006q2@ryandesign.com wrote:
> On May 26, 2006, at 23:36, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> Use svnmerge.py to make modifications in one location and merge  them
>> to the other location:
>>
>> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/
>> svnmerge.README
>> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.py
>>
>> Its a very nice wrapper around the 'svn merge' command that keeps
>> track of revisions already merged over.
>

> More importantly, you should probably be reading the entire branching
> and merging chapter:
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.2/svn.branchmerge.html
>
> Once you understand that and have been merging "by hand" for awhile,
> and if you decide that it's a bit tedious, then look into svnmerge  and
> see if it makes things easier for you.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll have a look at svnmerge.  But now I'm
starting to think that I could get away with simply moving the stripped
files to a different directory.  Probably not as nice to use, but a lot
simpler to administrate!

Re: Minor issue: how do I link one repository version to another?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
subversion.mexon@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> My scenario: I use subversion to manage a tiny website of static HTML
> pages.  I had a bunch of pages, but then I decided to strip back the
> website, leaving only a skeleton.  The stuff I stripped away is still
> there, but I moved it over into a branch before I removed all the stuff
> I didn't want from the trunk.  So far, so good.
>
> Now, the pages that are left have two copies.  Occasionally, I update
> these pages, and when I do, the changes should be applied both in the
> branch and in the trunk.  So far, I've been handling that by editing and
> committing them in the branch, then deleting the version in the trunk,
> and finally copying the version from the branch into the trunk.  If I
> understand right, this is all being done with cheap copies, so I'm not
> storing any duplicate data.  Which is still good.
>
> My only problem is, it's a bit of an effort to go through this every time...
>
> vi index.html
> svn commit index.html
> svn delete ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
> svn commit ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
> svn copy index.html ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
> svn commit ../../../../blah/blah/blah/blah/index.html
>
> What I really want here, is something like having a symbolic link inside
> the repository, so that when I ask to check out index.html, it actually
> checks out the file from some other branch.  Failing that, I'd like some
> kind of shortcut command for all of the last four commands above.
>
> Any suggestions?  Not the most life-threatening issue I've ever been
> presented with, but it'd be nice to have a better solution.

Use svnmerge.py to make modifications in one location and merge them to the
other location:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.README
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.py

Its a very nice wrapper around the 'svn merge' command that keeps track of
revisions already merged over.

Regards,
Blair

--