Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Varun Gupta <va...@uber.com> on 2016/11/30 20:07:07 UTC

Sanity checks to run post restore data?

Hi,

We are periodically backing up sstables, and need to learn, what sanity
checks should be performed after restoring them?

Thanks,
Varun

Re: Sanity checks to run post restore data?

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
Restoring SSTables is not trivial in terms of restoring a consistent state.
It depends on your failure scenario.

- Do you want to recover from unintentionally deleted data? Then it is
possible that you restore the data on one node, run a repair and the data
is deleted again because the tombstones are newer and you just resurrect
your data again. So - you really need to know what you are doing.
- Do you want to recover from complete loss? Maybe its easier to set up a
backup DC.
- You want to resume a dead node? Just rebuild / replace it.
- You truncated a table and want to restore it? Then restoring backed up
SSTables may work as disaster recovery. Although you will lose data between
backup + truncate.

Does that answer your question or did you mean sth completely different?

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH · www.jaumo.com
Wehrstraße 46 · 73035 Göppingen · Germany
Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer