Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org> on 2016/01/05 20:05:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

 I have Apache 2.4.12 running on a 64 bit Windows Server 2012 R2
installation that periodically just stops serving web pages.  Usually it
will start working after an hour or two, or if I'm in a position to remote
into the server I can restart the service using the Apache Service Monitor,
and normally get it to start without waiting.  There is absolutely nothing
in the error or access logs.  I have not seen anything that seems to relate
in the Windows logs either.  I thought it might be having a firewall
(either Windows or router), but last time it stopped, while remoted into
the server, I brought up Firefox and tried to access a web page or two.  I
get the browser error that the web server is not responding (or something
along that line).  That should eliminate the router, or Windows firewall I
would think.  As soon as I restart the Apache service, both Firefox on the
server and on a remote computer are able to access pages.

 The server gets restarted every Friday afternoon, and last Friday Apache
stopped within a couple hours.    Problem happen anywhere from a few hours
to several days apart.  This is a very plain vanilla server that is serving
three Virtual Hosts (all are affected at the same time), with no dynamic
content - just plain old html

 Any good ideas of a cause or where to start looking?

 Jim Walls
 jim@k6ccc.org

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.
Personally I loved windows 2K.  I had several user PCs running 2K Pro at
home, and ran the computer I used as a server under 2K Server for almost a
decade until it died a little over a year ago.  Only reason I replaced it
was because it died - leaking caps on the mother board.  I was given a 64
bit Dell server that I loaded up with Server 2012 R2 and like you it seemed
reasonable to install 64 bit Apache.

 It's now been about 12 hours since I "upgraded" to a 32 bit version and so
far it's stable.  I won't really call it fixed for at least a week, but
based on the recent track record, this is doing pretty good.  I will be
taking the server down this weekend for an hour or two for it's annual dust
cleaning, and I'm going to add some RAM to it.  And depending on how much
money is left after today's bill paying (today is payday for me), I might
increase replace the hard drives in the data RAID array to increase
capacity...

 Jim

Posted by Lester Caine <le...@lsces.co.uk>.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:40 AM, Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org> wrote:
> Yann Ylavic asked:
>> Did you try Kevin's proposal, that is :
>> AcceptFilter http none
>> AcceptFilter https none
>

> I don't remember seeing that message, so no I didn't.
>
> However, If that was causing a problem, I would think that after setting the
> error log to debug level, I would have seen it in the error log.

Not really.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.
Thanks for the more detailed answer.  I was not familiar with the
AcceptFilter command.  Since it was in Apache, I assumed (incorrectly) that
it was controlling filtering in Apache.  I did a Google search and quickly
found that it is actually controlling Winsock, so now it makes sense that
it would not show up in the Apache error log.

 Learn something new every day!  I kind of dislike making multiple changes
to resolve a problem because then you may not know which one solved the
problem.  Even if the change to 32 bit fixed the issue, I will add this in
a week or two cause it does sound like a good idea!

 Jim

> I don't remember seeing that message, so no I didn't.
>
> However, If that was causing a problem, I would think that after setting
the
> error log to debug level, I would have seen it in the error log.

Not necessarily because httpd won't see any request unless "delivered"
by the OS accept filters.
This is worth a try IMHO.

Regards,
Yann.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.

Posted by Yann Ylavic <yl...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 4:32 AM, Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org> wrote:

> I'm running out of ideas.
>
> Anybody else?

Did you try Kevin's proposal, that is :
    AcceptFilter http none
    AcceptFilter https none
?

Regards,
Yann.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache stops serving pages

Posted by Jim Walls <ji...@k6ccc.org>.

--
73

Posted by Kevin Gale <s7...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Hi Jim

We had similar problems.

Check this site as the solution might work for you:
http://superuser.com/questions/516030/apache-2-4-on-windows-responds-slowly-hangs-when-serving-some-dynamic-pages

Regards
Kev