Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu> on 2019/04/25 20:06:36 UTC

Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Hello All,

I am very new to Apache Guacamole and Tomcat. I am a moderate user of
Debian. Very light user of SQL.

I have tried to set up Apache Guacamole 1.0.0, but have encountered an error
that has stumped me.

Current Environment:

Debian 9 (9.8)

Tomcat8

Apache Server / Client 1.0.0

MariaDB 10.8

This is a fresh native install. Unfortunately, the 1.0.0 WAR file does not
display anything except a blank page and the icon on the tab for whatever
browser i try to access it in.

During my troubleshooting, I found that if I replaced the 1.0.0 WAR file
with the 0.9.14 WAR file i was able to see the login screen just fine.
Although, it wouldn't let me log in with the default credentials, but i want
both the client and the server to be running on the same version. This is a
minimal setup, no extra extensions like LDAP, SSL, or anything else EXCEPT
for the JDBC extension. There is no proxy needed for internet access.

I imported the user schema from the manual according to the directions, but
that was for the 1.0.0 version of the guacamole-auth-jdbc.

I'm not really sure what I did wrong, but I can provide any logs or details
that you need. I don't know why the 1.0.0 WAR client will not work for me
and i haven't been able to find much about this issue online, except for
some that have utilized Docker with Docker related solutions.

Any suggestions or assistance you can provide to me is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Nick,

Perfect! Thank you very much.

I have reverted the server back to the 1.0.0 WAR version and will let it
accumulate some logs for us and upload it to pastebin. Thank you for the
clarification btw, I didn't want to copy that whole think in to this thread!

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for the look and reply.

I do currently have the MariaDB JDBC driver withing GUACAMOLE_HOME/lib/ .

Should I change this from the MariaDB driver to the MySQL driver instead?

Maybe this is where I have gone wrong, as I thought i would want the MariaDB
driver to correspond with MariaDB.

Let me know your thoughts.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019, 13:51 zdobe <zb...@kent.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Here is the catalina.out output at pastebin:
>
> https://pastebin.com/NDMtmfiL
>
> Please let me know if you need anything else, or for the file to grow in
> length. It appears it is a database issue with the JDBC extension, but I am
> not sure why it is experiencing issues. If i am correct, any thoughts on
> troubleshooting that extension?

From the logs in the link above:

> Error setting driver on UnpooledDataSource. Cause:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

You need to install the MySQL JDBC driver within GUACAMOLE_HOME/lib/.

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/jdbc-auth.html#jdbc-auth-installation

- Mike

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 4:27 PM zdobe <zb...@kent.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Would you like the whole thing or only entries from today?

I'd say just clear it ou and retry deploying the 1.0.0 WAR and post any
entries from that.  You can post to a pastebin.com or something like that,
too, and just post the URL to that, here.

-Nick

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Nick,

Would you like the whole thing or only entries from today?

It is quite a large file.

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 4:18 PM zdobe <zb...@kent.edu> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Thank you for the reply!
>
> Which logs would you like to see?

Tomcat's catalina.out or equivalent.

-Nick

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Nick,

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Zer0Cool,

Thank you for the update on this issue, I really appreciate your input.
Bases upon your recommendation, I believe that I will do what you have
suggested and do one of the following:

- Stick with the 5.x version of MySQL Connector J
- Add the "default_time_zone" line to the my.conf file in the [mysqld]
section.

Thank you again for your input and recommendation to make this work
seamlessly and not encounter issues for half of the year!

Mike, I agree, that is troubling.

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 8:13 AM Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found this to be an issue between the 8.x version of MySQL Connector J
> and
> mariaDB. MySQL Connector J 5.x does not have the same problem.
>
> So the 2 fixes I found for the issue are (one or the other, both not
> needed):
> - Stick with the 5.x version of MySQL Connector J
> - Add the "default_time_zone" line to the my.conf file in the [mysqld]
> section.
>
> As an aside, I also found the issue to not be present half the year due to
> daylight sayings.

That's troubling.

- Mike

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by Zer0Cool <me...@gmail.com>.
I found this to be an issue between the 8.x version of MySQL Connector J and
mariaDB. MySQL Connector J 5.x does not have the same problem.

So the 2 fixes I found for the issue are (one or the other, both not
needed):
- Stick with the 5.x version of MySQL Connector J
- Add the "default_time_zone" line to the my.conf file in the [mysqld]
section.

As an aside, I also found the issue to not be present half the year due to
daylight sayings.

Also, I am not sure if there are any side effects to setting the timezone
using the 2nd method given that it would not change with DST on its own.

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hello All,

I was able to get the time zone issue sorted out with the 1.0.0 WAR file!

I'll explain what I went through.

The timezone was set correctly on the server, but I wasn't able to resolve
the error by setting the time zone on the server.

Doing a little bit of research, I was able to find a stack overflow article
with someone having an issue with the time zone in a different setup. They
were trying to set the time zone for JDBC though.

Here is the line that resolved the error for me:

*/To set the daemon default time zone to UTC, edit /etc/mysql/my.conf (or
equivalent) and add default_time_zone = +0:00 to the [mysqld] section./*

I will still need to modify it to be EDT, but that won't be a problem. You
have to use numerical characters apparently as SQL won't recognize EDT, UTC,
etc. This also isn't modifying JDBC directly, but modifying global SQL
configurations to let JDBC see the set time zone.

After modifying this setting, I was able to view the login screen and log in
with guacadmin!

Here is the link for anyone that is interested:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50901528/setting-a-time-zone-on-a-jdbc-connection

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to look and assist as well!

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I see that now, I have fixed this error after your suggestion! Thank you for
your input.

Currently working on the following error from the catalina.out log:

https://pastebin.com/ePngpWgV

It relates to the time settings for the time zone. I still cannot see the
login screen for guacamole, any thoughts on that? I'm really confused as to
why the 0.9.14 WAR was able to display the login screen but the 1.0.0 WAR
cannot display the login screen.

I also want to say thank you to everyone who has taken a look and helped so
far!

Thanks!

Zane B

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 30, 2019, 07:39 zdobe <zb...@kent.edu> wrote:

> Per Mike's findings, I changed from the MariaDB Connector to the MySQL
> connector and am now getting different errors in Catalina.out. It looks
> like
> my guacamole SQL user doesn't have rights to the database. Currently
> troubleshooting that, I followed the directions on the manual, but it's not
> behaving properly.
>
> Here is the Catalina.out log, in large fashion this time:
>
> https://pastebin.com/iN1tQwqq

From the above logs:

"Access denied for user 'guacamole_user '@'localhost'"

There is a trailing space in the username. Remove the trailing space from
guacamole.properties and restart Tomcat. You may want to check whether you
have accidentally added spaces to other properties, as well.

- Mike

RE: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by zdobe <zb...@kent.edu>.
Hi Lance,

Thank you for your input!

I did have to manually create the user-mapping.xml file as well.

I wasn't able to get it to work completely, but i have since reverted back
to the 1.0.0 WAR file to try and troubleshoot why I cannot see the login
screen before I troubleshoot credentials not working.

Per Mike's findings, I changed from the MariaDB Connector to the MySQL
connector and am now getting different errors in Catalina.out. It looks like
my guacamole SQL user doesn't have rights to the database. Currently
troubleshooting that, I followed the directions on the manual, but it's not
behaving properly.

Here is the Catalina.out log, in large fashion this time:

https://pastebin.com/iN1tQwqq

Please let me know what other logs you may need.

I also apologize for the delay, I have been going offsite for work.

Posted by Lance Gropper <La...@encorehollywood.com>.
Hello Nick:

I think this is similar to the problem I had - Guac isn't seeing the SQL backend, so there is no default logins/credentials. I had to manually create the user-mapping.xml file.

Lance

[...]

We'll definitely need the log messages to further debug this.

-Nick

[ CAUTION ]

DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders. Only respond if you can validate the senders legitimacy.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.

Re: Assistance with Apache Guacamole 1.0.0 Client

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.