Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Tudor, Liviu @Cimage" <Li...@cimage.com> on 2002/08/08 15:03:55 UTC

Problems with deserialization -- takes *over 6 minutes*

Hi everyone!

	I've come across this problem recently when starting testing my Java
webservices consumers with serious amounts of data.

	Basically, I've got a series of .NET web services and I can consume
them with no problem from .NET itself (oh, well, pretty expectable I would
say ;-) ) however, the problems occured when trying to consume them from
Java using Apache SOAP. It works fine for small amounts of data (i.e. less
than 20-30K worth of XML in response messages). However, at the moment I've
stuck quite a few records in the database, so every response from the .NET
services weight around 400-500-600K (the XML content length). This triggered
a very painfull side-effect: the deserialization process of such a message
(which contains nested arrays and compound types) takes about *6 minutes*
per request!!! I thought in the beginning the problem is with the Xerces
parser, but it turned out not to be that as using TcpTunnel and saving the
response into an XML file, I could parse this file in about 2 seconds! So
the whole problem obviously relies in deserialization! Also, the processor
goes up to 100% usage during this process.
	The strange thing is that for the same responses to be
parsed/deserialized it only takes about 4-5 seconds using the .NET clients
that I've got.
	Does anybody have any idea what do I need to change (if anything) or
how should I go about improving the speed, as 6 minutes wait time will
purely mean that I can't build my solution around Apache SOAP and I'll have
to stick with .NET.
	Thanks alot!

			Liv

Liviu Tudor
Cimage Novasoft Limited
:www.cimagenovasoft.com
+liviut@cimage.com
(Fax: +44 (0)1344 767701
(Direct Line: +44 (0)1344 767759
*Centennial Court, Easthampstead Road, Bracknell, BERKS, RG12 1JZ
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg." Bjarne Stroustrup

RE: Problems with deserialization -- takes *over 6 minutes*

Posted by Erich Izdepski <ei...@cysive.com>.
Remus-
could you explain what else was on your classpath that might have been
causing the problem that moving xerces up solved? Many people might be
interested in hearing about this.

Erich Izdepski
Senior Software Engineer
Cysive, Inc.

I solve it by moving up in classpath the xerces.
It seams to a problem with some deserializer soap gets from a factory,
but if you put xerces in in front of soap it gets another deserializer.
This are suppositions because I didn't have time to check this in
detail. So if you will find out more details please write them.

Remus

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 16:03, Tudor, Liviu @Cimage wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> 	I've come across this problem recently when starting testing my Java
> webservices consumers with serious amounts of data.
>
> 	Basically, I've got a series of .NET web services and I can consume
> them with no problem from .NET itself (oh, well, pretty expectable I would
> say ;-) ) however, the problems occured when trying to consume them from
> Java using Apache SOAP. It works fine for small amounts of data (i.e. less
> than 20-30K worth of XML in response messages). However, at the moment
I've
> stuck quite a few records in the database, so every response from the .NET
> services weight around 400-500-600K (the XML content length). This
triggered
> a very painfull side-effect: the deserialization process of such a message
> (which contains nested arrays and compound types) takes about *6 minutes*
> per request!!! I thought in the beginning the problem is with the Xerces
> parser, but it turned out not to be that as using TcpTunnel and saving the
> response into an XML file, I could parse this file in about 2 seconds! So
> the whole problem obviously relies in deserialization! Also, the processor
> goes up to 100% usage during this process.
> 	The strange thing is that for the same responses to be
> parsed/deserialized it only takes about 4-5 seconds using the .NET clients
> that I've got.
> 	Does anybody have any idea what do I need to change (if anything) or
> how should I go about improving the speed, as 6 minutes wait time will
> purely mean that I can't build my solution around Apache SOAP and I'll
have
> to stick with .NET.
> 	Thanks alot!
>
> 			Liv
>

> Liviu Tudor
> Cimage Novasoft Limited
> :www.cimagenovasoft.com
> +liviut@cimage.com
> (Fax: +44 (0)1344 767701
> (Direct Line: +44 (0)1344 767759
> *Centennial Court, Easthampstead Road, Bracknell, BERKS, RG12 1JZ
> "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but
> when you do, it blows away your whole leg." Bjarne Stroustrup

/**
* Remus Stratulat - KrysalIDE maintainer
* InterAkt Online.
*
* @phone +40 90 07 24 07
* @email rstratulat@interakt.ro
* @web http://www.interakt.ro
*/

RE: Problems with deserialization -- takes *over 6 minutes*

Posted by Remus Stratulat <rs...@interakt.ro>.
Hi,

Posted by Remus Stratulat <rs...@interakt.ro>.
Hi,