Posted to dev@shiro.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/22 09:27:13 UTC

Plans to publish javadocs & Maven site continuously/nightly?

I've happily been using the snapshots from Hudson for sometime now so
thanks for that. As a continuation on that subject, I'm wondering if
there are plans to publish the Maven site and accompanied javadocs for
snapshot builds or only for releases, or has it been considered at
all? For reference, there are a few ways to go about it: Tapestry
publishes the latest point releases and archives major releases
permanently; for one project at work we publish every single release
to a different url but don't publish snapshot docs; and of course
there's always the option of doing nothing. It all comes down to
release frequency and pace of development - if you push out a release
every month or so, only devs are interested in snapshots and
documentation won't lag too far behind, but if you have longer than
six months intervals between releases with a hectic pace of
development, users will quickly start asking for dev snapshots (which
they have for Shiro - I'm a prime example) and any longer, people will
start asking for the interim docs as well.

Obviously Shiro's still going through the incubator process so
releasing may not make sense at all and any kind of release would
anyways be considered as a "pre-release" anyway. In the meantime, it
might be a good idea to practice the site publish process (and
strategy - what should be available on the site?). Is somebody already
working on this and what is/would be the proper destination for the
site docs?

Kalle

Re: Plans to publish javadocs & Maven site continuously/nightly?

Posted by Les Hazlewood <lh...@apache.org>.
Hi mentors,

Any advice on how to go about this until we graduate?  What seems to
be the norm with other Incubator projects in this regard?

Thanks,

Les