Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vic <vi...@btinternet.com> on 2001/08/12 21:48:11 UTC

fo:float

Hi,

I am currently working on formatting a document and I
think the only way I can get my required output is to
use fo:float.

Is anyone currently working on adding float? If not, how
difficult would it be for someone with no knowledge of
creating pdfs, to do this?

Regards,

Vic

Re: fo:float

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 12:07 AM 8/13/01 +0100, Vic wrote:
>side-floats are what I require.  I need to create side notes to the main
>content, I'm currently using list-items to do this.  (In fact Arved Sandstrom
>answered the question I asked about my problem yesterday on comp.text.xml,
>thanks for the help).

Ahhh, that was you. :-) The context was different, obviously - that's why I
didn't realize.

>I'll have a look at the source and docs tomorrow, no doubt I'll have plenty
>of questions then.  Although any tips about where to start would be
>appreciated as I am still very new fo and fop after only recently been
>converted from dsssl (where I came across similar problems with non
>implemented features in jade, it's obviously a sign that I should become
>proactive).

Where to start? Good question. You probably want to get a basic idea of how
FOP formats, starting with the format() method on the Root instance, and
extending down into the layout() methods in the various FOs. It should help
to know that our formatting object tree really is a tree, and that the area
tree that gets built up follows the conceptual area tree in the spec quite
closely.

Once you sort of know what FOP does at a coarse-grained level, I'd recommend
getting stuck into the XSL spec section on fo:float. This will also entail
looking at the CSS spec. We've had a number of discussions about
side-floats; I think the current consensus is that although it would be cool
to have the side-float start at the point where it is referenced in the
normal flow, both specs actually suggest that the side-float must be placed
as high in the current reference area as possible. I'd need to check on this
again, myself.

This is a certain amount of work already. :-) I'll revisit the specs also,
so that once the questions start popping up I can help out. I'm sure that
I'm not the only person who will assist.

While we're at it we may as well consider doing before-floats, too.

Regards,
Arved

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)

Re: fo:float

Posted by Vic <vi...@btinternet.com>.
At 06:03 PM 8/12/01 -0300, you wrote:
>No one has announced that they are working on floats, not that I'm aware of.
>
>You would not have to know about PDF at all to implement this functionality.
>All of the work of adding fo:float to FOP is at the area generation and
>layout stage, not at the rendering stage.
>
>I think before-floats would probably not be too bad. What did you have in
>mind, before-floats or side-floats?

side-floats are what I require.  I need to create side notes to the main
content, I'm currently using list-items to do this.  (In fact Arved Sandstrom
answered the question I asked about my problem yesterday on comp.text.xml,
thanks for the help).

I'll have a look at the source and docs tomorrow, no doubt I'll have plenty
of questions then.  Although any tips about where to start would be
appreciated as I am still very new fo and fop after only recently been
converted from dsssl (where I came across similar problems with non
implemented features in jade, it's obviously a sign that I should become
proactive).

Thanks,

Vic

Re: fo:float

Posted by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca>.
At 08:48 PM 8/12/01 +0100, Vic wrote:
>I am currently working on formatting a document and I
>think the only way I can get my required output is to
>use fo:float.
>
>Is anyone currently working on adding float? If not, how
>difficult would it be for someone with no knowledge of
>creating pdfs, to do this?

No one has announced that they are working on floats, not that I'm aware of.

You would not have to know about PDF at all to implement this functionality.
All of the work of adding fo:float to FOP is at the area generation and
layout stage, not at the rendering stage.

I think before-floats would probably not be too bad. What did you have in
mind, before-floats or side-floats?

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom