Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com> on 2019/07/08 15:14:40 UTC

[VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

The Apache OpenWhisk podling community brings the resolution, after
discussion [1], to become a top level Apache project up for the IPMC vote.
The PPMC community vote [2] resulted in 19 +1 votes and no 0 or -1 votes.
Further details on how the community has developed during incubation are
summarized in the discussion thread [1].

This vote is open for 72 hours, assuming that at that stage there are at
least 3 +1 votes and nothing left open for discussion.

Thanks,

--dave
on behalf of the Apache OpenWhisk PPMC

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/x/thread.html/ee66864bb39279833a19d9c4c5aa2f7d96463efdafc93594e7f32af1@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/x/thread.html/ee66864bb39279833a19d9c4c5aa2f7d96463efdafc93594e7f32af1@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

-------------------------

Establish the Apache OpenWhisk Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests
of the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to
establish a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and
maintenance of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to
the public, related to a platform for building serverless applications
with functions.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache OpenWhisk Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache OpenWhisk Project be and hereby is
responsible for the creation and maintenance of software related to a
platform for building serverless applications with functions; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache OpenWhisk" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache
OpenWhisk Project, and to have primary responsibility for management
of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache
OpenWhisk Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache OpenWhisk
Project:
    Bertrand Delacretaz, bdelacretaz@apache.org
    Carlos Santana, csantanapr@apache.org
    Chetan Mehrotra, chetanm@apache.org
    Dave Grove, dgrove@apache.org
    Dominic Kim, style95@apache.org
    Dragos Dascalita Haut, dragos@apache.org
    James Dubee, dubee@apache.org
    James Thomas, jamesthomas@apache.org
    Jeremias Werner, jeremiaswerner@apache.org
    Krzysztof Sobkowiak, ksobkowiak@apache.org
    Markus Thömmes, markusthoemmes@apache.org
    Matt Rutkowski, mrutkowski@apache.org
    Matt Sicker, mattsicker@apache.org
    Michele Sciabarra, msciabarra@apache.org
    Olivier Tardieu, tardieu@apache.org
    Rob Allen, akrabat@apache.org
    Rodric Rabbah, rabbah@apache.org
    Sven Lange-Last, slange@apache.org
    Tyson Norris, tysonnorris@apache.org
    Vincent Hou, houshengbo@apache.org

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Dave Grove be appointed
to the office of Vice President, Apache OpenWhisk, to serve in
accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors
and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement,
removal or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be
it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache OpenWhisk Project be and hereby is tasked
with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
OpenWhisk podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
OpenWhisk podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator Project are
hereafter discharged.

Re: [VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

Posted by Gosling Von <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1, binding

Best Regards,
Von Goslng

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

Posted by kr...@gmail.com.
+1

Best regards
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak

Apache Incubator PMC Member (https://incubator.apache.org/)

Re: [VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
+1 binding

May have chance to meet some of your community at tomorrow's Naver Pinpoint
Open House.

Good luck.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>于2019年7月10日 周三上午9:02写道:

> Hi,
>
> +1 (binding) There's still a few minor things that need to be sorted but
> the (P)PMC is on top of them. Congratulations!
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Sheng Wu
SkyWalking, Shardingsphere and Zipkin

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 10:05 PM Dave Grove <dg...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...This vote passed with with 6 +1 votes and no 0 or -1 votes...

Ouch, and I missed voting! Here's my belated enthusiastic +1 ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Recommend 'Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project' resolution to the board

Posted by Dave Grove <dg...@apache.org>.
Thanks to everyone for the help & guidance over the years of our incubation!

This vote passed with with 6 +1 votes and no 0 or -1 votes.

We will submit the resolution to the board for consideration at their July meeting.

--dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
+1 (binding)

I’ve reviewed the Maturity Model, recent activity, and the large number of repositories(51) vs. released artifacts (21) [1][2]

I wanted to note two things:
- In looking at contributing [2] I notice that there is a higher bar than many projects in requiring an ICLA. Given the large number of repositories I think that this reasonable especially given that the current Apache Secretary is also a Mentor and proposed PMC member. In the long run I hope that these contributors can quickly become committers!

- Given that most of the repositories are yet to be released with some untouched in two years, I would hope that as the PMC moves the repositories it will identify what the future state is for each repository - planned, tools, released, template, dormant and retired. For example, the devtools repository [3] looks like there should be tags corresponding to the version of devtools used to build each release. This is a technical detail which I’m sure the PMC will need to address in the future and nothing to hold up the process.

Cheers for showing that it is possible to incubate a project with a large number of products in The Apache Way™!

All the best,
Dave

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/clutch/openwhisk.html
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md