Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/01 21:43:48 UTC

Re: GSoc 2013 proposal for Map Reduce support

Hi Udesh,

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 7:28 AM, <de...@gora.apache.org> wrote:

> GSoc 2013 proposal for Map Reduce support
>         4025 by: Udesh Liyanaarachchi
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm Udesh Liyanaarachchi and looking forward to participate for GSoc 2013
> under an ASF project.
> I came across Gora and really interested on working a proposal related to
> these project goals of Gora.
>
>    - *Analysis :* Accesing the data and making analysis through adapters
>    for Apache Pig, Apache Hive and Cascading
>    - *MapReduce support :* Out-of-the-box and extensive MapReduce (Apache
>    Hadoop) support for data in the data store.

This is excellent. Thanks for reaching out to the Gora community.

> I went trough the issues of Gora and found out the [1] new feature request
> which was not assigned yet.
> I would like to work on this to full fill the project goals above
> mentioned. ( Adoption of Pig and Hadoop.)
> It would be great to know more details about this idea and suggestions of
> issues related to this idea would be appreciated.
> Any help will be appreciated.

OK so GORA-112 was originally filed by myself (I think) with the intention
of easing integration between Gora and more complex (and ultimately useful)
Hadoop/MR jobs.
The road map for this would more or less be a clean slate and would be
driven by yourself (as a GSoC student).
If you are serious about putting together a proposal, I would urge you to
get on to our project wiki and create some documentation of your proposal
here [0].
It would do you a huge justice to head over to our Jira issue tracker and
find some current issues need attention. This will get you semi
familiarized with the Gora code base and also shows to administrators that
you are serious about your GSoC proposal for a Gora project.

Thanks for getting in touch.
Best
Lewis

[0] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GORA/GSoC+2013+Ideas+Page

Re: GSoc 2013 proposal for Map Reduce support

Posted by Udesh Liyanaarachchi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mattmann , Lewis and Renato.
I will set up Gora and get familiar with the functionality. So I can
involve in resolving some issues.
Still I don't have a clear idea what the GSoc project objectives should be
for this proposal.
Should it be adopting Cascading or Apache Hama as suggested by Renato or
Apache Pig.  Any suggestions will be appreciated ?
I will update the list and the wiki with proper details when I'm clear with
the objectives.

Best Regards,
Udesh Liyanaarachchi

--
*
**Udesh Liyanaarachchi*

Re: GSoc 2013 proposal for Map Reduce support

Posted by Renato Marroquín Mogrovejo <re...@gmail.com>.
Hi Udesh,