Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2023/12/08 03:17:56 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.17 release is now available for
voting.

The notable changes compared to 10.1.16 are:

- Background processes for a Container no longer execute while lifecycle
   operations are in progress for that Container.

- Correct unintended escaping of XML in some WebDAV responses.

- Use a 408 status code if a read timeout occurs during HTTP
   HTTP request processing instead of an HTTP 400 status.

For full details, see the change log:
https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html

Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
webapps directory.

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.17/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1473

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.17
32e30a4648cdd24245ef4a0d58beb6ada1c41844

The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Han Li <li...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 8, 2023, at 11:17, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.17 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.16 are:
>
> - Background processes for a Container no longer execute while lifecycle
>  operations are in progress for that Container.
>
> - Correct unintended escaping of XML in some WebDAV responses.
>
> - Use a 408 status code if a read timeout occurs during HTTP
>  HTTP request processing instead of an HTTP 400 status.
>
> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10 without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.17/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1473
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.17
> 32e30a4648cdd24245ef4a0d58beb6ada1c41844
>
> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17
Han

[OT] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 12/8/23 13:27, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Mark,

>>> Unit tests on Linux, Windows, MacOS M1 and MacOS Intel
>>>
>>> Build is cross-platform repeatable apart from
>>> - The fulldocs package
>>>    - This is due to a Java bug
>>>      https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8306980
>>> - The source distributions
>>>    - Looks like a Tomcat bug in the build script. There is a file named
>>>      building contained the text "building" in the root of the source
>>>      tree. Line endings vary based on build platform hence the
>>>      cross-platform repeatability test fails
>>
>> Ugh. This is my fault.
>>
>> Because my Windows VM kills itself every 30 minutes, I created that
>> file and arranged to have it deleted after the build was complete,
>> just in case it shut down between the time the build completed and I
>> was able to grab the artifacts. I've had Windows die in the middle of
>> a build before. :(
>>
>> There is no bug in the build script; this is a bug in the release
>> manager ;)
>
> This is a Windows license limitation isn't it? If so, I can highly
> recommend the MSDN subscription available at no cost to all ASF
> committers that need it. I use it all the time.

I've never received a response when attempting to get an ASF-committer
MSDN license. But I really need to do this.

> If it is the virtualization software then I have found license keys for
> the latest version of VMware workstation being sold very cheaply by some
> (I hasten to add genuine) resellers.
>
> (Full disclosure, I work for VMware)

I'm using VirtualBox, so no license issues, here.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 12/8/23 7:34 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 08/12/2023 03:17, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>>> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17
>>
>> Unit tests on Linux, Windows, MacOS M1 and MacOS Intel
>>
>> Build is cross-platform repeatable apart from
>> - The fulldocs package
>>    - This is due to a Java bug
>>      https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8306980
>> - The source distributions
>>    - Looks like a Tomcat bug in the build script. There is a file named
>>      building contained the text "building" in the root of the source
>>      tree. Line endings vary based on build platform hence the
>>      cross-platform repeatability test fails
>
> Ugh. This is my fault.
>
> Because my Windows VM kills itself every 30 minutes, I created that file
> and arranged to have it deleted after the build was complete, just in
> case it shut down between the time the build completed and I was able to
> grab the artifacts. I've had Windows die in the middle of a build
> before. :(
>
> There is no bug in the build script; this is a bug in the release
> manager ;)

This is a Windows license limitation isn't it? If so, I can highly
recommend the MSDN subscription available at no cost to all ASF
committers that need it. I use it all the time.

If it is the virtualization software then I have found license keys for
the latest version of VMware workstation being sold very cheaply by some
(I hasten to add genuine) resellers.

(Full disclosure, I work for VMware)

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 08/12/2023 12:34, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17
>
> Unit tests on Linux, Windows, MacOS M1 and MacOS Intel
>
> Build is cross-platform repeatable apart from
> - The fulldocs package
>    - This is due to a Java bug
>      https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8306980
> - The source distributions
>    - Looks like a Tomcat bug in the build script. There is a file named
>      building contained the text "building" in the root of the source
>      tree. Line endings vary based on build platform hence the
>      cross-platform repeatability test fails

Chris - this looks like an artifact of your build environment. The file
appears in the tag but not in the 10.1.x branch. Any idea what happened?

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17

Tested on fedora 38.

--
Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Dec 8, 2023 at 4:18 AM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.17 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.16 are:
>
> - Background processes for a Container no longer execute while lifecycle
>    operations are in progress for that Container.
>
> - Correct unintended escaping of XML in some WebDAV responses.
>
> - Use a 408 status code if a read timeout occurs during HTTP
>    HTTP request processing instead of an HTTP 400 status.
>
> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.17/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1473
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.17
> 32e30a4648cdd24245ef4a0d58beb6ada1c41844
>
> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
All,

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.17 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.16 are:
>
> - Background processes for a Container no longer execute while lifecycle
>    operations are in progress for that Container.
>
> - Correct unintended escaping of XML in some WebDAV responses.
>
> - Use a 408 status code if a read timeout occurs during HTTP
>    HTTP request processing instead of an HTTP 400 status.
>
> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.17/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1473
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.17
> 32e30a4648cdd24245ef4a0d58beb6ada1c41844
>
> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17

+1 for stable release.

Build is clean and unit tests all pass on MacOS x86-84.

Details:
* Environment
*  Java (build):     openjdk version "21.0.1" 2023-10-17 LTS OpenJDK
Runtime Environment Temurin-21.0.1+12 (build 21.0.1+12-LTS) OpenJDK
64-Bit Server VM Temurin-21.0.1+12 (build 21.0.1+12-LTS, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     openjdk version "21.0.1" 2023-10-17 LTS OpenJDK
Runtime Environment Temurin-21.0.1+12 (build 21.0.1+12-LTS) OpenJDK
64-Bit Server VM Temurin-21.0.1+12 (build 21.0.1+12-LTS, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Darwin 21.6.0 x86_64
*  cc:       Apple clang version 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.31.1)
*  make:     GNU Make 3.81
*  OpenSSL:  OpenSSL 3.1.4 24 Oct 2023 (Library: OpenSSL 3.1.4 24 Oct 2023)
*  APR:      1.7.4
*
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.zip
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.tar.gz
* Valid SHA-512 signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17.exe
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17-src.zip
* Valid SHA512 signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-10.1.17-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: Same
*
* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: PASSED

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.1.17

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Dec 7, 2023 at 7:18 PM Christopher Schultz <
chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.1.17 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.1.16 are:
>
> - Background processes for a Container no longer execute while lifecycle
>    operations are in progress for that Container.
>
> - Correct unintended escaping of XML in some WebDAV responses.
>
> - Use a 408 status code if a read timeout occurs during HTTP
>    HTTP request processing instead of an HTTP 400 status.
>
> For full details, see the change log:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.1.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 and earlier will not run on Tomcat 10
> without changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier
> may be placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat
> will automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the
> webapps directory.
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.1.17/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1473
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.1.17
> 32e30a4648cdd24245ef4a0d58beb6ada1c41844
>
> The proposed 10.1.17 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.1.17

+1

Unit tests passed on Ubuntu with Java 21

Igal