Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hans Gerwitz <ja...@phobia.com> on 2000/07/07 15:43:20 UTC

Jasper log() in root-mounted context

Short story:  Jasper is throwing

java.lang.NullPointerException:
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.getServletName(GenericServlet.java:368)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(GenericServlet.java:300)

whenever I invoke log() within a jsp.  I had thought it was context-related,
but reproduced it in the examples context while writing the message below.

Is and implicit log() call no longer supported within JSP, or is my
configuration missing something?  Thanks.

----

I have a context mounted at "/", using Tomcat 3.1 release behind
Apache/mod_jserv.  (I love being able to host JServ and Tomcat behind the
same Apache process, thanks to ajpv12!)

the relevant Tomcat server.xml includes:
 <Context path="" docBase="webapps/ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true" >
 </Context>

and tomcat.conf (included in httpd.conf) defines a virtual host that
includes:
 <IfModule mod_jserv.c>
  AddType test/jsp .jsp
  AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

  ApJServMount /examples ajpv12://localhost:8009/examples
  ApJServMount / ajpv12://localhost:8009/ROOT
  ApJServMount /admin ajpv12://localhost:8009/admin
 </IfModule>

and of course the Connector is servicing 8009, yaddayaddayadda.

Everything is fine with the servlets and JSPs that I've installed in this
context except calls to Servlet.log(), which generate:

java.lang.NullPointerException:
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.getServletName(GenericServlet.java:368)
    at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.log(GenericServlet.java:300)

I tried copying the default web.xml into WEB-INF to explicitly give this
context a <servlet-name>, to no avail.

----

Re: Jasper log() in root-mounted context

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com>.
That should be fixed in the latest source tree.  Please download and
confirm.

Cheers -

 - Alex