Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Kirby, Stephen (Civ, ARL/CISD)" <sf...@arl.army.mil> on 2005/07/12 03:06:53 UTC

File Download dialog launched errantly

Hi,

I am using a WML file as my welcome-file.  When I try to launch the web
page I'm getting a "File Download" dialog for some reason.  (it's
tomcat-5.5.9 and it shows tomcat works fine when I leave the welcome
file as index.jsp)

The web.xml already had the MIME mapping for wml extension files so I
don't think that's the problem.
(from web.xml)
     <mime-mapping>
        <!-- WML Source -->
        <extension>wml</extension>
        <mime-type>text/vnd.wap.wml</mime-type>
    </mime-mapping>

I've triple-checked the wml file and can't see anything wrong:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE wml PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml">
<wml>
 <card id="myFirstCard" title="First Card">
   Hi there......
 </card>
</wml>

I've seen mention of a http.conf file -- is that relevant to jakarta
tomcat; if so what line is added to recognize wml?

TIA
-Steve

Re: File Download dialog launched errantly

Posted by Luis Torres <A0...@itesm.mx>.
Hi,

Actually that sounds right. You can't display WML data in a standard
browser and that's why you get the download dialog.

To see that type of content you can test using a WAP browser like winwap
(not free but you get a trial) or an online WAP emulator such as
wapsilon <http://www.wapsilon.com>.

If it displays ok in one of those two then you are on the right track  :)

Hasta luego.

Luis