Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by lewis john mcgibbney <le...@apache.org> on 2018/11/29 19:40:59 UTC

Suggestion for new Direction for Gora

Hi Folks,
As our RESOLUTION is now agreed upon within the community and submitted to
the Board for approval. I wanted to drop a few ideas which will hopefully
kickstart some new project activity and usage.
We've been building a rich suite of modules which not only enable flexible
object-to-datastore mapping solutions but also data analysis (Hadoop,
Spark, Flink) and data warehouse query execution (Pig).
I wanted however for us to consider where Gora could be used around the
rich spectrum of projects at the ASF.
So far we've built Gora into Nutch 2.X branch (which will soon be retired),
Camel (which needs updated), Giraph (which needs updated) and Chukwa (which
needs updated).
The above is a pretty nice roster of Apache projects which consume Gora but
I think we should engage those communities again and update everywhere we
can.
It would also be my intention for this thread to act as a bulletin board
for ideas of where Gora could be embedded in other projects.
I'll leave it there for now.
Lewis

--
http://home.apache.org/~lewismc/
http://people.apache.org/keys/committer/lewismc

Re: Suggestion for new Direction for Gora

Posted by kenneth mcfarland <ke...@gmail.com>.
I also forgot to mention we are brainstorming to come up with a practical
application of Gora to Fluo, and have thrown it out there that if we can
come up with something good it could be a GSoC project.

Posted by kenneth mcfarland <ke...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: Suggestion for new Direction for Gora

Posted by Kevin Ratnasekera <dj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Thank you for all the suggestions given. I went through the pointers you
given and found out that,

1. Camel is at gora 0.8 ( Already upgraded to latest )
2. Giraph is at gora 0.5 ( Upgrade needed )
3. Chukwa is at gora 0.6 ( Upgrade needed )

I logged two jira tickets [1] which I will be taking over. ( If anyone like
to join please talk to me  ) I am not sure about nutch gora integration,
current status and whether we can do anything from our end. I have seen
several times dev@gora people raised their concerns over improvements to
nutch-gora Eg:- Last time when we had discussion on GSoC ideas, there was a
proposal from Renato on fixing gora-nutch integration in Nutch 2.x possible
cases where we have neglected as community. [3] Also recently I noticed
some people requesting mavenized build for 2.x branch as well. [4] Do we
have ideas to take things forward?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CHUKWA-823
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GIRAPH-1214
[3]