Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net> on 2008/06/02 18:22:11 UTC

[Studio] Beta-testers needed for a new Apache DS plugin for Apache Directory Studio

Hi,

I'm currently finishing the development of a new Apache DS plugin for Apache
Directory Studio that will be part of the 1.2.0 release of Studio.

The Apache DS plugin lets you run one (or more) instances of Apache DS
(Apache Directory Server) within Apache Directory Studio or/and Eclipse.
It does not require that you install Apache DS on your machine, the plugin
already holds all the needed libraries (Apache DS version 1.5.2).
With the Apache DS Plugin, you'll be able to create, configure and run a
fully certified LDAP server in less than a minute.

Most of the development is done, I think it just needs a few final tweaks.

For those of you who are interested in, I compiled three updated
distributions of Studio (Mac OS X, Linux x86 & Windows) which include this
new plugin.
These distributions are available here:
    http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/ApacheDS_Plugin/

You'll find a basic Quick Start Guide at this URL:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/Apache+DS+Plugin+-+Quick+Start+Guide

I'd like to get from you some feedback on this new plugin.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot

Re: [Studio] Beta-testers needed for a new Apache DS plugin for Apache Directory Studio

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Sorry Pierre I have not gotten to this yet (dealing with lousy things) but I
will shortly.  Thanks for pumping this out - I'm sure I'm going to be very
impressed.

Regards,
Alex

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Thanks Stefan.

I'll have to add a check on the default JVM, to see if it's greater or equal
to 1.5.
I had a similar issue on my mac where there was no default JVM selected
(which caused an NPE).

I'm going to updated this, and re-upload updated distributions.

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Ok, I got the problem:

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,
>
> this plugin looks very great.
>
> I tried th Linux x86 version, but the server isn't starting up. When
> starting the state swtiches to "Starting..." and then back to "Stopped".
> I attached the logs.

Those logs are 'normal' logs... We have to clean them, but it won't stop
the server.

Do you have any thread dump ?

Can you just test if the server is running, even if marked as stopped ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [Studio] Beta-testers needed for a new Apache DS plugin for Apache Directory Studio

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for testing out. :)

this plugin looks very great.

> I tried th Linux x86 version, but the server isn't starting up. When
> starting the state swtiches to "Starting..." and then back to "Stopped".
> I attached the logs.

These logs (even if they have WARN and ERROR levels) are normal... They're
are ("unfortunately", because it makes the user think there's been an issue
during the launch) the usual logs of a launched Apache DS 1.5.2 instance.
This makes me think that the server has been correctly started.

But, I have a "start up verification thread" which tries to create a context
on the started server and set the server to the "started" state or "set it
back to the "stopped" state after a certain amount on time (3 minutes)
trying to connect to it.

I think something is failing here and the server is set back to the
"stopped' state.

> Another cool feature would be to ask the user in the "Create a Server"
> wizard if a connection to this server should be created.

Yeah, that's an idea we had with Emmanuel, too.
But, I would not create it with the "Create a Server" wizard, because at
this time, the user has not customized the configuration of the server yet,
and the ports may change.
I was thinking of adding a new action in the context menu which creates an
associated connection in the LDAP Browser view taking the parameters from
the server configuration.

To get the Apache DS plugin as light as possible, I'd like to declare the
Connection and Ldap Browser dependencies as optional in the plugin.xml of
the Apache DS plugin, and enable/disable this action if theses plugins are
present or not at runtime.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [Studio] Beta-testers needed for a new Apache DS plugin for Apache Directory Studio

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,