Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/16 14:12:54 UTC

[HEADS UP] - Renaming inconsistent data format names in model

Hi

Ticket: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-17499

The data formats have over the time become inconsistent in the model
and their names and also name vs camel-xxx JAR name etc.

So after the 3.14 LTS release and where we drop JDK8 then we are doing
some house cleaning.
We also have some components to be marked as deprecated and to be removed later.

The data format renaming is a more complex "thing" as we have a bunch
of source code generated files based on those names.

So a rename of eg zipfile to zipFile (to use camel case) that causes
the generated files to keep the existing file name because the lower
case name existed. So to "fix" this a commit is needed to delete the
first, and then another to regenerate the files.

So for all of this work I did this today on a quiet day but there is
about 50 commits in total as there are many regens in this line of
spirit to make it all work.

I am not sure if a git quash would work?

I pushed the code to a branch
https://github.com/apache/camel/tree/dataformat-rename

And a bit PR (we can try to squash this one)
https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/6760

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: [HEADS UP] - Renaming inconsistent data format names in model

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 5:21 AM Marat Gubaidullin
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Claus.
> This will really help.
> Will data formats in camel-yaml-dsl.json be also consistent after that or
> do we need to fix it as well?

This file is auto generated from the yaml dsl, which is also auto
generated from the model in core.
So they will both be updated and consistent.

Posted by Marat Gubaidullin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Claus.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Just to say that all the rename is complete now

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Okay so all the data format model names have been fixed and made consistent.

Then we should be ready to be able to generate two yaml dsl schemas,
one for kebab and another for camel case.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marat Gubaidullin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luca Burgazzoli <lb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marat Gubaidullin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Claus,
>
> 1. There is a typo (gzipDeflator instead of gzipDeflater) in the data
> format name
> https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/4829e4b7c9fec2ea785411a1ccad65339e080520/core/camel-core-model/src/main/java/org/apache/camel/model/dataformat/DataFormatsDefinition.java#L57

Thanks fixed

> 2. I have fetched, built and still have data format names (and almost all
> other properties) in kabab case in camel-yaml-dsl.json

It is the yaml-dsl that uses kebab-case. There is a JIRA to add
camelCase as well so we have both for a while before kebab can be
removed.

Posted by Marat Gubaidullin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hello Claus,

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.