Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Sever Fundatureanu <fu...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/01 22:22:46 UTC

Re: Finding the correct region server

Hello,

You can find a great explanation of HBase file locality in HDFS here
http://www.larsgeorge.com/2010/05/hbase-file-locality-in-hdfs.html .
The short answer is that HBase file locality improves with time since files
are recreated during compactions as close as possible to the RS running
node in the order local, rack or remote-rack. So if you don't restart your
cluster for a long time, there is a good chance to find your data locally
on the RS.

--
Sever Fundatureanu

Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam